Fiscal and Spending Behavior of Local Governments: Identification of Price Effects When Prices Are Not Observed
AbstractThis paper analyzes local public fiscal and spending behavior in a setting where local governments, represented by the dominant party or coalition, are treated as utility maximizing agents. The econometric analysis, which is based on a modified version of ELES, recognizes total spending as well as total income as endogenous variables. Identification of the price effects is achieved by utilizing data on environmental cost factors and local tastes. The performance of the estimated model is investigated by testing its ability to make out-of-sample predictions of local government behavior. Copyright 2003 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Public Choice.
Volume (Year): 117 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100332
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bernardino Benito & Francisco Bastida & Cristina Vicente, 2013. "Municipal elections and cultural expenditure," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 3-32, February.
- Witterblad, Mikael, 2008. "Essays on Redistribution and Local Public Expenditures," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 731, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Rolf Aaberge & Manudeep Bhuller & Audun Langørgen & Magne Mogstad, 2010.
"The distributional impact of public services when needs differ,"
621, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Bhuller, Manudeep & Langørgen, Audun & Mogstad, Magne, 2010. "The distributional impact of public services when needs differ," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(9-10), pages 549-562, October.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Bhuller, Manudeep & Langørgen, Audun & Mogstad, Magne, 2010. "The Distributional Impact of Public Services When Needs Differ," IZA Discussion Papers 4826, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Haegeland, Torbjørn & Raaum, Oddbjørn & Salvanes, Kjell G., 2008.
"Pennies from Heaven? Using Exogeneous Tax Variation to Identify Effects of School Resources on Pupil Achievements,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3561, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hægeland, Torbjørn & Raaum, Oddbjørn & Salvanes, Kjell G., 2012. "Pennies from heaven? Using exogenous tax variation to identify effects of school resources on pupil achievement," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 601-614.
- Hægeland, Torbjørn & Raaum, Oddbjørn & Salvanes, Kjell Gunnar, 2007. "Pennies from heaven - Using exogenous tax variation to identify effects of school resources on pupil achievement," Memorandum 18/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Torbjørn Hægeland & Oddbjørn Raaum & Kjell G. Salvanes, 2007. "Pennies from heaven. Using exogenous tax variation to identify effects of school resources on pupil achievement," Discussion Papers 508, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Rolf Aaberge & Audun Langørgen, 2003.
"Measuring the Benefits from Public Services The Effects of Local Government Spending on the Distribution of Income in Norway,"
339, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Rolf Aaberge & Audun Langørgen, 2006. "Measuring The Benefits From Public Services: The Effects Of Local Government Spending On The Distribution Of Income In Norway," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(1), pages 61-83, 03.
- Witterblad, Mikael, 2008. "The Demand for Local Public Services in Sweden," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 730, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Audun Langørgen & Dag Rønningen, 2004. "Local government preferences, individual needs, and the allocation of social assistance," Discussion Papers 380, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Lars Håkonsen & Knut Løyland, 2013. "Local government allocation of cultural services," ACEI Working Paper Series AWP-06-2013, the Association for Cultural Economics International, revised Oct 2013.
- Audun Langørgen, 2008. "Targeting Public Services through Unequal Treatment of Unequals," Discussion Papers 558, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Audun Langørgen, 2012. "A structural approach for analyzing fiscal equalization," Discussion Papers 715, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Audun Langørgen, 2011. "Targeting public services through the unequal treatment of unequals," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 193-213, April.
- Marie-Estelle Binet, 2011. "Reconsidering the Demand for Municipal Public Goods Specification : Evidence from French Municipalities," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201120, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.