Can a Wealthy Economy Gain from an EU Membership? Adjustment Costs and Long Term Welfare Effects of Full Integrationâ€”The Norwegian Case
AbstractWe employ a large scale macroeconometric model to study adjustment problems and long term welfare effects of a Norwegian EU-membership. Accession costs depend significantly on the country's level of GDP, the size of its agricultural sector and tariff and VAT revenues as these elements determine the net membership contribution. Without the transfers, integrating the economy into EU generates a small welfare gain. This result is strongly affected by a long period with under-utilisation of resources. With the net contribution included, we identify a welfare loss. This is especially so if fiscal policy is changed to maintain the public sector budgetary balance. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1997
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Open Economies Review.
Volume (Year): 8 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100323
economic integration; EU participation; macroeconometric modelling;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabrielle Antille & Marc Bacchetta & Fabrizio Carlevaro & Tobias Müller & Nicolas Schmitt, 1993. "Switzerland and the European Economic Area: A General Equilibrium Assessment of Some Measures of Integration," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 129(IV), pages 643-672, December.
- Flam, H. & Nordstrom, H., 1995. "Why Do Pre-Tax Prices Differ so Much Across European Countries?," Papers 591, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Keuschnigg,Christian & Kohler,Wilhelm, 1992.
"Dynamic effects of tariff liberalization: An intertemporal CGE approach,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
386, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Keuschnigg, Christian & Kohler, Wilhelm, 1995. "Dynamic Effects of Tariff Liberalization: An Intertemporal CGE Approach," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 20-35, February.
- Jean Mercenier & Bernardin Akitoby, 1993.
"On intertemporal general-equilibrium reallocation effects of Europe's move to a single market,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
87, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Mercenier, J. & Akitoby, B., 1994. "On Intertemporal General-Equilibrium Reallocation Effects of Europe's Move to a Single Market," Cahiers de recherche 9401, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Mercenier, J. & Akitoby, B., 1994. "On Intertemporal General-Equilibrium Reallocation Effects of Europe's Move to a Single Market," Cahiers de recherche 9401, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Capros, Pantelis & Karadeloglou, Pavlos & Mentzas, Gregory, 1991. "Market imperfections in a general equilibrium framework : An empirical analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 116-128, January.
- Flam, Harry & Nordström, Håkan, 1995. "Why do Pre-tax Car Prices Differ so Much Across European Countries?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1181, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miller, Marcus H & Spencer, John E, 1977. "The Static Economic Effects of the UK Joining the EEC: A General Equilibrium Approach," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 71-93, February.
- Jan I. Haaland, 1994. "Norway: The Trade Effects of European Integration," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 683-695, 09.
- Ari Kokko, 1994. "Sweden: Effects of EU Membership on Investment and Growth," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 667-677, 09.
- Winters, L. Alan, 1992. "European Trade and Welfare after `1992'," CEPR Discussion Papers 678, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.