A review of recent developments in international portfolio selection
AbstractThis review begins with a foundation for inspection of the potential gains from international diversification by citing the results of the seminal works in the area. From that point, the review examines recent ex-post studies, adaptation to currency risk, consideration of bond investment, the development of ex-ante strategies, and the consideration of market imperfections. The prevailing impression from this review is that international investment can potentially provide superior performance to solely domestic investment. However, it is a matter of developing the correct strategy to exploit the opportunities. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1993
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Open Economies Review.
Volume (Year): 4 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100323
diversification; correlation; ex-ante strategies; currency risk; hedging;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panton, Don B. & Lessig, V. Parker & Joy, O. Maurice, 1976. "Comovement of International Equity Markets: A Taxonomic Approach," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 415-432, September.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1985. "International Portfolio Diversification with Estimation Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 259-78, July.
- Nahum Biger, 1979. "Exchange Risk Implications of International Portfolio Diversification," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 10(2), pages 63-74, June.
- Madura, Jeff, 1985. "International portfolio construction," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 87-95, February.
- Severn, Alan K, 1974. "Investor Evaluation of Foreign and Domestic Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 545-50, May.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "International Diversification of Investment Portfolios," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 668-75, September.
- Alan M Rugman, 1976. "Risk Reduction by International Diversification," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 7(2), pages 75-80, June.
- Grubel, Herbert G & Fadner, Kenneth, 1971. "The Interdependence of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 26(1), pages 89-94, March.
- Eun, Cheol S & Resnick, Bruce G, 1984. " Estimating the Correlation Structure of International Share Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1311-24, December.
- Chamberlain, Trevor W. & Cheung, C. Sherman & Kwan, Clarence C. Y., 1990. "International investment and currency risk," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 141-152, May.
- Bracker, Kevin & Koch, Paul D., 1999. "Economic determinants of the correlation structure across international equity markets," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 443-471.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.