The cost of disinflation and the European Monetary System
AbstractIn this paper we present empirical evidence indicating that the EMS-countries have experienced a worsening of their inflation/unemployment trade-off during 1978â€“88, which on average was more pronounced than in the rest of the OECD-area. We explain this evidence by unfavorable labor market institutions in the EMS-countries, and by the nature of the deflationary policies which these countries have followed. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1990
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Open Economies Review.
Volume (Year): 1 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100323
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francesco Giavazzi & Marco Pagano, 1991.
"The Advantage of Tying One's Hands: EMS Discipline and Central Bank Credibility,"
in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 303-330
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giavazzi, Francesco & Pagano, Marco, 1988. "The advantage of tying one's hands : EMS discipline and Central Bank credibility," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1055-1075, June.
- Giavazzi, Francesco & Pagano, Marco, 1986. "The Advantages of Tying One's Hands: EMS Discipline and Central Bank Credibility," CEPR Discussion Papers 135, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1988. "Credibility, Debt and Unemployment: Ireland's Failed Stabilization," NBER Working Papers 2785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fratianni, Michele & von Hagen, Juergen, 1990. "The European Monetary System ten years after," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 173-241, January.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1982. "Stabilization policies in developing countries: What have we learned?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(9), pages 701-708, September.
- D. Backus & J. Driffil, 1998.
"Inflation and Reputation,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
625, David K. Levine.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Hysteresis and the European Unemployment Problem,"
NBER Working Papers
1950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michele Fratianni, 1988. "The European Monetary System: How Well Has It Worked?," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 8(2), pages 477-506, Fall.
- Barro, Robert J. & Gordon, David B., 1983.
"Rules, discretion and reputation in a model of monetary policy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 101-121.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1983. "Rules, Discretion and Reputation in a Model of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 1079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susan M. Collins, 1988. "Inflation and the E M S," NBER Working Papers 2599, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Willem H. Buiter & Marcus Miller, 1983. "Changing the Rules: Economic Consequences of the Thatcher Regime," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 14(2), pages 305-380.
- C.J.M. Kool & A. Lammertsma, 2004. "Inflation Persistence under Semi-Fixed Exchange Rate Regimes:The European Evidence 1974-1998," Working Papers 04-04, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Patrick Fève & Julien Matheron & Jean-Guillaume Sahuc, 2010.
"Inflation Target Shocks and Monetary Policy Inertia in the Euro Area,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(547), pages 1100-1124, 09.
- Fève, Patrick & Matheron, Julien & Sahuc, Jean-Guillaume, 2010. "Inflation Target Shocks and Monetary Policy Inertia in the Euro Area," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12493, Paris Dauphine University.
- Fève, Patrick & Matheron, Julien & Sahuc, Jean-Guillaume, 2008. "Inflation Target Shocks and Monetary Policy Inertia in the Euro Area," IDEI Working Papers 515, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Fève,P. & Matheron,J. & Sahuc, J-G., 2009. "Inflation Target Shocks and Monetary Policy Inertia in the Euro Area," Working papers 243, Banque de France.
- Fève, Patrick & Matheron, Julien & Sahuc, Jean-Guillaume, 2009. "Inflation Target Shocks and Monetary Policy Inertia in the Euro Area," TSE Working Papers 09-060, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Balogun, Emmanuel Dele, 2008. "An Empirical Test of Trade Gravity Model Criteria for the West African Monetary Zone (WAMZ)," MPRA Paper 7083, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Clemens Kool & Alex Lammertsma, 2005. "Inflation Persistence under Semi-Fixed Exchange Rate Regimes: The European Evidence 1974â€“1998," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 51-76, January.
- Balogun, Emmanuel Dele, 2009. "Alternative reconsideration of output growth differrential for the West African Monetary Zone," MPRA Paper 13416, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.