Economic and Geographical Distance: Explaining Mercosur Sectoral Exports to the EU
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to apply a modified gravity model to annual exports disaggregated by sector, from MERCOSUR + Chile to the 15 current members of the EU. In doing so, we aimed to classify sectors according to their sensitivity to geographical and economic distance and to identify which commodities enjoy export strength even without further progress in trade liberalisation with the EU. In the estimation we made use of two additional explanatory variables which are found to be relevant when explaining trade, namely, infrastructure and exchange rates. An exchange rate index is built that takes into account protection. Our results support the view that different sectors have a different sensitivity to distance and highlight the importance of using disaggregated data when analysing international trade flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Open Economies Review.
Volume (Year): 15 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100323
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Dierk Herzer & Sebastian Vollmer, 2005.
"The Free Trade Agreement between Chile and the EU: Its Potential Impact on Chile´s Export Industry,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
125, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- NOWAK-LEHMANN D., Felicitas & HERZER, Dierk & VOLLMER, Sebastian, 2007. "The Free Trade Agreement Between Chile And The Eu: Its Potential Impact On Chile’S Export Industry," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(1).
- Kavallari, Aikaterini & Maas, Sarah & Schmitz, P. Michael, 2008. "Explaining German imports of olive oil: evidence from a gravity model," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44217, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jaime de Pablo Valenciano & Juan Pérez Mesa & Jean Lévy Mangin, 2008. "The Spanish Tomato Export Sector of the Almeria Region: An Econometric Approach," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 316-328, August.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann & Dierk Herzer & Inmaculada Martinez-Zarzoso & Sebastian Vollmer, 2007.
"The Impact of a Customs Union between Turkey and the EU on Turkey's Exports to the EU,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45, pages 719-743, 09.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann Danzinger & Dierk Herzer & Inmaculada Martinez-Zarzoso & Sebastian Vollmer, 2005. "The Impact of a Customs Union between Turkey and the EU on Turkey's Exports to the EU," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 483, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Nowak-Lehmann D., Felicitas & Herzer, Dierk & Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada & Vollmer, Sebastian, 2005. "Turkey and the Ankara Treaty of 1963: What can Trade Integration Do for Turkish Exports," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 43, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada & Nowak-Lehmann D., Felicitas, 2004. "MERCOSUR-European Union Trade: How important is EU Trade Liberalisation for MERCOSUR's Exports?," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 30, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Michida, Etsuyo & Atici, Cemal & Kojima, Michikazu, 2011. "Does Quality Matter in the Iron and Scrap Trade?," IDE Discussion Papers 282, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Pascal Ghazalian, 2013. "MERCOSUR enlargement: predicting the effects on trade in primary agricultural commodities," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 277-297, August.
- Abdelaal Mahmoud, Ashraf, 2011. "Financial Crises and Bilateral Foreign Direct Investment Flows," MPRA Paper 30417, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.