Foreign Direct Investment and Real Exchange Rate Interlinkages
AbstractThis paper examines theoretically and empirically the relationship between Foreign Direct Investment and the real exchange rate. It is found that in large countries with freely floating currencies, such as the USA, the UK and Japan, causality runs from the real exchange rate to FDI. These results are consistent with the predictions of models of financial behavior. Causality runs both ways in small countries with fixed or â€œquasiâ€ fixed currencies, such as the EU countries. These results are consistent with models, which emphasize on trade integration. It is shown that a weaker euro will not have uniform effects on FDI inflows across the unified Europe. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Open Economies Review.
Volume (Year): 11 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100323
FDI; real exchange rate;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giavazzi, Francesco & Spaventa, Luigi, 1990.
"The `New' EMS,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
369, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bruce, Neil & Purvis, Douglas D., 1985.
"The specification and influence of goods and factor markets in open-economy macroeconomic models,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 807-857
- Neil Bruce & Douglas D. Purvis, 1982. "The Specification and Influence of Goods and Factor Markets in Open Economy Macroeconomic Models," Working Papers 499, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Cushman, David O, 1985. "Real Exchange Rate Risk, Expectations, and the Level of Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 297-308, May.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Stein, Jeremy C, 1991.
"Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1191-217, November.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992. "Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach," NBER Working Papers 2914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Culem, Claudy G., 1988. "The locational determinants of direct investments among industrialized countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 885-904, April.
- repec:fip:fedreq:y:2012:i:1q:p:51-76:n:vol.98no.1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christian Aubin & Jean-Pierre Berdot & Daniel Goyeau & Jacques Léonard, 2006. "Investissements directs américains et européens dans les PECOs. Quel rôle des effets de change ?," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(4), pages 771-792.
- Thomas A. Lubik & Katheryn N. Russ, 2012. "Exchange rate volatility in a simple model of firm entry and FDI," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue 1Q, pages 51-76.
- Zvi Eckstein & Amit Friedman, 2011. "The equilibrium real exchange rate for Israel," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Capital flows, commodity price movements and foreign exchange intervention, volume 57, pages 201-213 Bank for International Settlements.
- Osinubi, T. S. & Amaghionyeodiwe, L. A, 2009. "Foreign Direct Investment and Exchange Rate Volatility in Nigeria," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(2).
- Choi, Jongmoo Jay & Jeon, Bang Nam, 2007. "Financial factors in foreign direct investments: A dynamic analysis of international data," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Panagiotis Liargovas & Konstantinos Skandalis, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment and Trade Openness: The Case of Developing Economies," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 106(2), pages 323-331, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.