Foreign Direct Investment and Real Exchange Rate Interlinkages
AbstractThis paper examines theoretically and empirically the relationship between Foreign Direct Investment and the real exchange rate. It is found that in large countries with freely floating currencies, such as the USA, the UK and Japan, causality runs from the real exchange rate to FDI. These results are consistent with the predictions of models of financial behavior. Causality runs both ways in small countries with fixed or â€œquasiâ€ fixed currencies, such as the EU countries. These results are consistent with models, which emphasize on trade integration. It is shown that a weaker euro will not have uniform effects on FDI inflows across the unified Europe. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Open Economies Review.
Volume (Year): 11 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100323
FDI; real exchange rate;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Culem, Claudy G., 1988. "The locational determinants of direct investments among industrialized countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 885-904, April.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Stein, Jeremy C, 1991.
"Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1191-217, November.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992. "Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach," NBER Working Papers 2914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neil Bruce & Douglas D. Purvis, 1982.
"The Specification and Influence of Goods and Factor Markets in Open Economy Macroeconomic Models,"
499, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Bruce, Neil & Purvis, Douglas D., 1985. "The specification and influence of goods and factor markets in open-economy macroeconomic models," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 807-857 Elsevier.
- Francesco Giavazzi & Luigi Spaventa, 1990.
"The "New" EMS,"
86, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Cushman, David O, 1985. "Real Exchange Rate Risk, Expectations, and the Level of Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 297-308, May.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Zvi Eckstein & Amit Friedman, 2011. "The equilibrium real exchange rate for Israel," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Capital flows, commodity price movements and foreign exchange intervention, volume 57, pages 201-213 Bank for International Settlements.
- Mehmet Horasanli, 2007. "Comparing the Convergence Behaviour of Binomial and Trinomial Models," Istanbul Stock Exchange Review, Research and Business Development Department, Borsa Istanbul, vol. 9(34), pages 17-34.
- Osinubi, T. S. & Amaghionyeodiwe, L. A, 2009. "Foreign Direct Investment and Exchange Rate Volatility in Nigeria," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(2).
- Tokunbo S. OSINUBI & Lloyd A. AMAGHIONYEODIWE, 2010.
"Foreign Private Investment And Economic Growth In Nigeria,"
Applied Econometrics and International Development,
Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 10(2).
- Tokunbo S. OSINUBI & Lloyd A. AMAGHIONYEODIWE, 2010. "Foreign Private Investment And Economic Growth In Nigeria," Review of Economic and Business Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, issue 5, pages 105-127, June.
- Panagiotis Liargovas & Konstantinos Skandalis, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment and Trade Openness: The Case of Developing Economies," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 106(2), pages 323-331, April.
- repec:fip:fedreq:y:2012:i:1q:p:51-76:n:vol.98no.1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thomas A. Lubik & Katheryn N. Russ, 2012. "Exchange rate volatility in a simple model of firm entry and FDI," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue 1Q, pages 51-76.
- Christian Aubin & Jean-Pierre Berdot & Daniel Goyeau & Jacques Léonard, 2006. "Investissements directs américains et européens dans les PECOs. Quel rôle des effets de change ?," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(4), pages 771-792.
- Choi, Jongmoo Jay & Jeon, Bang Nam, 2007. "Financial factors in foreign direct investments: A dynamic analysis of international data," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Hasan Vergil & Hamza Cestepe, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Real Exchange Rate: A Causality Analysis," Istanbul Stock Exchange Review, Research and Business Development Department, Borsa Istanbul, vol. 9(34), pages 35-44.
- Omer Yilmaz & Bener Gungor & Vedat Kaya, 2007. "Cointegration and Causality Between Macroeconomic Variables and Share Prices," Istanbul Stock Exchange Review, Research and Business Development Department, Borsa Istanbul, vol. 9(34), pages 1-16.
- Phillips, Shauna & Ahmadi-Esfahani, Fredoun Z., . "Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: Theoretical Models and Empirical Evidence," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.