Consumer Segments Based on Attitudes Toward Luxury: Empirical Evidence from Twenty Countries
AbstractThis article proposes an international segmentation of consumers based on their attitudes toward luxury. We perform a two-stage empirical study with a data set that combines samples from 20 countries. We provide a substantive interpretation of the results to show that three attitude segments dominate in a Western cultural context. We discuss several directions for future research based on the findings. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Marketing Letters.
Volume (Year): 16 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100312
luxuries; international marketing research; latent-class segmentation; mixture models;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coelho, Philip R P & McClure, James E, 1993. "Toward an Economic Theory of Fashion," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(4), pages 595-608, October.
- Peterson, Robert A, 2001. " On the Use of College Students in Social Science Research: Insights from a Second-Order Meta-analysis," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(3), pages 450-61, December.
- Braun, Ottmar L. & Wicklund, Robert A., 1989. "Psychological antecedents of conspicuous consumption," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 161-187, June.
- Bagwell, Laurie Simon & Bernheim, B Douglas, 1996. "Veblen Effects in a Theory of Conspicuous Consumption," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 349-73, June.
- Fournier, Susan, 1998. " Consumers and Their Brands: Developing Relationship Theory in Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(4), pages 343-73, March.
- Kivetz, Ran & Simonson, Itamar, 2002. " Self-Control for the Righteous: Toward a Theory of Precommitment to Indulgence," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(2), pages 199-217, September.
- Steenkamp, Jan-Benedict E M & Baumgartner, Hans, 1998. " Assessing Measurement Invariance in Cross-National Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(1), pages 78-90, June.
- Kastanakis, Minas N. & Balabanis, George, 2012. "Between the mass and the class: Antecedents of the “bandwagon” luxury consumption behavior," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(10), pages 1399-1407.
- Miller, Karen W. & Mills, Michael K., 2012. "Contributing clarity by examining brand luxury in the fashion market," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(10), pages 1471-1479.
- Godey, Bruno & Pederzoli, Daniele & Aiello, Gaetano & Donvito, Raffaele & Chan, Priscilla & Oh, Hyunjoo & Singh, Rahul & Skorobogatykh, Irina I. & Tsuchiya, Junji & Weitz, Bart, 2012. "Brand and country-of-origin effect on consumers' decision to purchase luxury products," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(10), pages 1461-1470.
- Shukla, Paurav & Purani, Keyoor, 2012. "Comparing the importance of luxury value perceptions in cross-national contexts," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(10), pages 1417-1424.
- Gil, Luciana A. & Kwon, Kyoung-Nan & Good, Linda K. & Johnson, Lester W., 2012. "Impact of self on attitudes toward luxury brands among teens," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(10), pages 1425-1433.
- Shukla, Paurav, 2011. "Impact of interpersonal influences, brand origin and brand image on luxury purchase intentions: Measuring interfunctional interactions and a cross-national comparison," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 242-252, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.