An Axiomatization of Cumulative Prospect Theory for Decision under Risk
AbstractCumulative prospect theory was introduced by Tversky and Kahneman so as to combine the empirical realism of their original prospect theory with the theoretical advantages of Quiggin's rank-dependent utility. Preference axiomatizations were provided in several papers. All those axiomatizations, however, only consider decision under uncertainty. No axiomatization has been provided as yet for decision under risk, i.e., the case in which given probabilities are transformed. Providing the latter is the purpose of this note. The resulting axiomatization is considerably simpler than that for uncertainty. Copyright 1999 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Risk and Uncertainty.
Volume (Year): 18 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100299
Other versions of this item:
- Chateauneuf, A. & Wakker, P., 1998. "An Axiomatization of Cumulative Prospect Theory for Decision Under Risk," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 98.51, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Heilpern, S., 2003. "A rank-dependent generalization of zero utility principle," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 67-73, August.
- Marcello Basili & Stefano Dalle Mura, 2004. "Ambiguity and macroeconomics:a rationale for price stickiness," Department of Economics University of Siena 428, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Amit Kothiyal & Vitalie Spinu & Peter Wakker, 2011. "Prospect theory for continuous distributions: A preference foundation," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 195-210, June.
- Horst Zank, 2010. "On probabilities and loss aversion," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 68(3), pages 243-261, March.
- Birnbaum, Michael H., 2004. "Tests of rank-dependent utility and cumulative prospect theory in gambles represented by natural frequencies: Effects of format, event framing, and branch splitting," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 40-65, September.
- Lanzi, Diego, 2011. "Frames as choice superstructures," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 115-123, April.
- Ido Erev & Ira Glozman & Ralph Hertwig, 2008. "What impacts the impact of rare events," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 153-177, April.
- Valerie Seror, 2008. "Fitting observed and theoretical choices - women's choices about prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 557-577.
- Horst Zank, 2007. "Social welfare functions with a reference income," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 609-636, June.
- Schmidt, Ulrich & Zank, Horst, 2001. "A new axiomatization of rank-dependent expected utility with tradeoff consistency for equally likely outcomes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 483-491, July.
- L'Haridon, Olivier, 2009. "Behavior in the loss domain: An experiment using the probability trade-off consistency condition," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 540-551, August.
- Schmidt, Ulrich & Zank, Horst, 2009.
"A simple model of cumulative prospect theory,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3-4), pages 308-319, March.
- Marcello Basili & Alain Chateauneuf & Fulvio Fontini, 2005.
"Choices Under Ambiguity With Familiar And Unfamiliar Outcomes,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 58(2), pages 195-207, 03.
- Marcello Basili & Alain Chateauneuf & Fulvio Fontini, 2004. "Choices under ambiguity with familiar and unfamiliar outcomes," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques b04115, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Liang Zou, 2006. "An Alternative to Prospect Theory," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 7(1), pages 1-28, May.
- Jona Linde & Joep Sonnemans, 2012.
"Social comparison and risky choices,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 45-72, February.
- Rosella Castellano & Roy Cerqueti, 2013. "Roots and effects of financial misperception in a stochastic dominance framework," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(6), pages 3371-3389, October.
- Horst Zank, 2007. "On the Paradigm of Loss Aversion," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0710, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Carole Bernard & Jit Seng Chen & Steven Vanduffel, 2013. "Rationalizing Investors Choice," Papers 1302.4679, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2014.
- Peter Brooks & Horst Zank, 2005. "Loss Averse Behavior," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 301-325, December.
- Tuthill, Jonathan W. & Frechette, Darren L., 2002. "Non-Expected Utility Theories: Weighted Expected, Rank Dependent, And Cumulative Prospect Theory Utility," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19073, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Raphaël Giraud, 2004. "Framing under risk : Endogenizing the Reference Point and Separating Cognition and Decision," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla04090, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Kobberling, Veronika & Wakker, Peter P., 2005. "An index of loss aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 119-131, May.
- Marcello Basili & Stefano Dalle Mura, 2008. "Ambiguous Money Distribution And The Price Stickiness Phenomenon: A Rationale From An Ambiguous Rational Expectations Approach," Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID) University of Siena 0708, Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID), University of Siena.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.