Smoothing in Appraisal-Based Returns
AbstractThis article presents a conceptual analysis of smoothing in the second moments of appraisal-based returns series in commercial real estate. The intent of the article is to lay the groundwork necessary for the more scientific use of appraisal-based returns time series for the purpose of inferring the true second moments. Formal smoothing models are presented together with their theoretical implications for smoothing in various second moments of interest to investment analysts. Empirical estimators for inferring true moments from appraisal-based data are described. Limited empirical findings from previous literature are also briefly discussed in the light of the theoretical findings of this study. The overall conclusion is that appraisal-based returns can be very useful in studying the risk characteristics of commercial real estate assets, provided that this type of data is corrected for smoothing as discussed in the article. Copyright 1991 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 4 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sampagnaro, Gabriele & Battaglia, Francesca, 2010. "Reliability and Heterogeneity of Real Estate Indexes and their Impact on the Predictability of Returns," MPRA Paper 23378, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Conlin Lizieri & Steven Satchell & Elaine Worzala & Roberto Dacco', 1998. "Real Interest Regimes and Real Estate Performance: A Comparison of UK and US Markets," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 339-356.
- de Vries, Paul & de Haan, Jan & van der Wal, Erna & Mariën, Gust, 2009. "A house price index based on the SPAR method," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 214-223, September.
- Jeff Fisher & David Geltner & Henry Pollakowski, 2007. "A Quarterly Transactions-based Index of Institutional Real Estate Investment Performance and Movements in Supply and Demand," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 5-33, January.
- Drouhin, Pierre-Arnaud, 2012. "Caractéristiques statistiques et dynamique de prix des produits dérivés immobiliers," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/10918, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Jiaqi Chen & Michael L. Tindall, 2012. "Risk measurement illiquidity distortions," Occasional Papers 2, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Gatzlaff, Dean H. & Haurin, Donald R., 1998. "Sample Selection and Biases in Local House Value Indices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 199-222, March.
- Spaenjers, C., 2011. "Essays in alternative investments," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4944288, Tilburg University.
- Jinliang Li & Robert M. Mooradian & Shiawee X. Yang, 2009. "The Information Content of the NCREIF Index," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 31(1), pages 93-116.
- Robert Edelstein & Daniel Quan, 2006. "How Does Appraisal Smoothing Bias Real Estate Returns Measurement?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 41-60, February.
- Jack H. Rubens & David A. Louton & Elizabeth J. Yobaccio, 1998. "Measuring the Significance of Diversification Gains," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(1), pages 73-86.
- Raimond Maurer & Steffen Sebastian & Thomas G. Stephan, 2002. "Immobilienindizes im Portfolio-Management," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 52, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Chris Brooks & Harry. M Kat, 2001. "The Statistical Properties of Hedge Fund Index Returns," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2001-09, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Elizabeth Yobaccio & Jack H. Rubens & David C. Ketcham, 1995. "The Inflation-Hedging Properties of Risk Assets: The Case of REITs," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(3), pages 279-296.
- Roland Füss & Felix Schindler, 2011. "Diversifikationsvorteile verbriefter Immobilienanlagen in einem Mixed‐Asset‐Portfolio," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(2), pages 170-191, 05.
- Eichholtz, Piet M.A. & Hartzell, David J., 1996. "Property shares, appraisals and the stock market: An international perspective," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13989, Maastricht University.
- F.C. Neil Myer & James R. Webb, 1993. "The Effect of Benchmark Choice on Risk-Adjusted Performance Measures for Commingled Real Estate Funds," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(2), pages 189-204.
- David C. Ling, 1993. "Probabilistic Valuation Models and Income Tax Asymmetries with an Application to the Analysis of Passive Loss Restrictions," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(2), pages 205-220.
- Dimson, E. & Spaenjers, C., 2009.
"Ex-Post: The Investment Performance of Collectible Stamps,"
2009-64, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dimson, Elroy & Spaenjers, Christophe, 2011. "Ex post: The investment performance of collectible stamps," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 443-458, May.
- Gerald R. Brown & Seow-Eng Ong, 2001. "Estimating serial cross-correlation in real estate returns," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 381-387.
- Armonat, Stefan & Pfnür, Andreas, 2003. "Asset allocation versus entrepreneurial decisions in real estate investment," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 35582, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- António Miguel Martins & Ana Paula Serra, 2012. "Real Estate Market Risk in Bank Stock Returns: Evidence for 15 European Countries," CEF.UP Working Papers 1203, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Darren Hayunga & R. Pace, 2010. "Spatial Statistics Applied to Commercial Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 103-125, August.
- Peijie Wang & Colin Lizieri & George Matysiak, 1997. "Information asymmetry, long-run relationship and price discovery in property investment markets," European Journal of Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(3), pages 261-275.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.