Pricing Inefficiencies in Private Real Estate Markets Using Total Return Swaps
AbstractEfficient markets should guarantee the existence of zero spreads for total return swaps. However, real estate markets have recorded values that are significantly different from zero in both directions. Possible explanations might suggest non-rational behaviour by inexperienced market players or unusual features of the underlying asset market. We find that institutional characteristics in the underlying market lead to market inefficiencies and, hence, to the creation of a rational trading window with upper and lower bounds within which transactions do not offer arbitrage opportunities. Given the existence of this rational trading window, we also argue that the observed spreads can substantially be explained by trading imbalances due to the limited liquidity of a newly formed market and/or to the effect of market sentiment, complementing explanations based on the lag between underlying market returns and index returns. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
Total return swaps; Asset pricing; Real estate market inefficiencies;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carolina Fugazza & Massimo Guidolin & Giovanna Nicodano, 2009.
"Time and Risk Diversification in Real Estate Investments: Assessing the Ex Post Economic Value,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 37(3), pages 341-381.
- Carolina Fugazza & Massimo Guidolin & Giovanna Nicodano, 2009. "Time and risk diversification in real estate investments: assessing the ex post economic value," Working Papers 2009-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Carolina Fugazza & Massimo Guidolin & Giovanna Nicodano, 2009. "Time and Risk Diversification in Real Estate Investments: Assessing the Ex Post Economic Value," CeRP Working Papers 82, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
- Eric Clapham & Peter Englund & John M. Quigley & Christian L. Redfearn, 2006.
"Revisiting the Past and Settling the Score: Index Revision for House Price Derivatives,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 34(2), pages 275-302, 06.
- Clapham, Eric & Englund, Peter & Quigley, John M. & Redfearn, Christian L., 2007. "Revisiting the Past and Settling the Score: Index Revision for House Price Derivatives," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt1m2340dt, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- David Geltner, 1989. "Estimating Real Estate's Systematic Risk from Aggregate Level Appraisal-Based Returns," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 463-481.
- Jarrow, Robert A & Turnbull, Stuart M, 1995. " Pricing Derivatives on Financial Securities Subject to Credit Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 53-85, March.
- Tae H. Park & Lorne N. Switzer, 1996. "An Economic Analysis of Real Estate Swaps," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 527-33, April.
- M. R. Grasselli & T. R. Hurd, 2007. "Indifference Pricing and Hedging for Volatility Derivatives," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 303-317.
- Marti G. Subrahmanyam & Anurag Gupta, 1998.
"An Empirical Examination of the Convexity Bias in the Pricing of Interest Rate Swaps,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
98-068, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Gupta, Anurag & Subrahmanyam, Marti G., 2000. "An empirical examination of the convexity bias in the pricing of interest rate swaps," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 239-279, February.
- Anurag Gupta & Marti G. Subrahmanyam, 1999. "An Empirical Examination of the Convexity Bias in the Pricing of Interest Rate Swaps," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-001, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Hennessy, David A. & Lapan, Harvey E., 2006.
"On the Nature of Certainty Equivalent Functionals,"
Staff General Research Papers
12552, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Daniel C. Quan & John M. Quigley, 1989. "Inferring an Investment Return Series for Real Estate from Observations on Sales," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 218-230.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne, 2001. "On the Term Structure of Default Premia in the Swap and LIBOR Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(3), pages 1095-1115, 06.
- Lee, Yongheon & Oren, Shmuel S., 2009. "An equilibrium pricing model for weather derivatives in a multi-commodity setting," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 702-713, September.
- Titman, Sheridan D & Torous, Walter N, 1989. " Valuing Commercial Mortgages: An Empirical Investigation of the Contingent-Claims Approach to Pricing Risky Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 345-73, June.
- Litzenberger, Robert H, 1992. " Swaps: Plain and Fanciful," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 831-50, July.
- Gordon Hazen, 2009. "An Extension of the Internal Rate of Return to Stochastic Cash Flows," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(6), pages 1030-1034, June.
- Chyi Lee & Simon Stevenson & Ming-Long Lee, 2014. "Futures Trading, Spot Price Volatility and Market Efficiency: Evidence from European Real Estate Securities Futures," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 299-322, February.
- Drouhin, Pierre-Arnaud, 2012. "Caractéristiques statistiques et dynamique de prix des produits dérivés immobiliers," Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University, number 123456789/10918 edited by Batsch, Laurent, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.