The Long-Horizon Performance of REIT Mergers
AbstractWe study long-horizon shareholder returns in a comprehensive sample of Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) mergers, to test whether or not the anomaly of post-merger underperformance observed in conventional firms applies to the case of REITs. Constructing synthetic benchmark portfolios controlling for firm size and for book-to-market value ratio, we find that 60-month buy-and-hold abnormal returns for REIT acquirers are significantly negative at approximately −10%, supporting the position that REIT merger acquirers underperform non-merging REITs in the long run. We find no evidence to challenge previous studies reporting positive announcement period returns for acquirers when the target is privately held, but we do find evidence that these positive returns do not persist. The long term performance of acquiring REITs is approximately the same whether the target is public or private. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2009
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics.
Volume (Year): 38 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
Real Estate Investment Trusts; REITs; EREITs; Mergers; Buy-and-hold abnormal returns; BHARs; Post-merger performance; G14; G34;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Campbell & Chinmoy Ghosh & C. Sirmans, 2005. "Value Creation and Governance Structure in Reit Mergers," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 225-239, September.
- Christa H. S. Bouwman & Kathleen Fuller & Amrita S. Nain, 2009. "Market Valuation and Acquisition Quality: Empirical Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(2), pages 633-679, February.
- Langetieg, Terence C., 1978. "An application of a three-factor performance index to measure stockholder gains from merger," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 365-383, December.
- Olgun Fuat Sahin, 2005. "The Performance of Acquisitions in the Real Estate Investment Trust Industry," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 27(3), pages 321-342.
- Agrawal, Anup & Jaffe, Jeffrey F & Mandelker, Gershon N, 1992. " The Post-merger Performance of Acquiring Firms: A Re-examination of an Anomaly," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1605-21, September.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Pavel G. Savor & Qi Lu, 2009. "Do Stock Mergers Create Value for Acquirers?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(3), pages 1061-1097, 06.
- Erasmo Giambona & Carmelo Giaccotto & C.F. Sirmans, 2005. "The Long-Run Performance of REIT Stock Repurchases," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(2), pages 351-380, 06.
- Robert D. Campbell & Chinmoy Ghosh & C. F. Sirmans, 2001. "The Information Content of Method of Payment in Mergers: Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 29(3), pages 361-387.
- Claudio Loderer & Kenneth Martin, 1992. "Postacquisition Performance of Acquiring Firms," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 21(3), Fall.
- Barber, Brad M. & Lyon, John D., 1997. "Detecting long-run abnormal stock returns: The empirical power and specification of test statistics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 341-372, March.
- Ghosh, Chinmoy & Petrova, Milena & Xiao, Yihong, 2012. "Do REITs use cash reserves efficiently? Evidence from corporate acquisitions," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1953-1970.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.