REIT Characteristics and the Sensitivity of REIT Returns
AbstractPrevious research on the returns to real estate investment trusts (REITs) has considered whether REITs are systematically exposed to general stock-market risk and interest-rate risk. This study examines how the sensitivity of REIT returns to these factors may be influenced by various REIT characteristics. Using a sample of publicly traded REITs, we estimate the sensitivity of REIT returns to stock market and interest-rate changes. We then propose and implement a model for testing whether differences in asset structure, financial leverage, management strategy, and degree of specialization in the REIT portfolios are related to their sensitivity to interest rate and market risk. Our results permit us to offer some inferences about how REITs can alter their risk exposure by managing these characteristics. Copyright 2000 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chang, Kuang-Liang, 2011. "The nonlinear effects of expected and unexpected components of monetary policy on the dynamics of REIT returns," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 911-920, May.
- Cheong, Chee Seng & Gerlach, Richard & Stevenson, Simon & Wilson, Patrick J. & Zurbruegg, Ralf, 2009. "Equity and fixed income markets as drivers of securitised real estate," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 103-111, April.
- Eric J. Higgins & Richard L. Ott & Robert A. Van Ness, 2006. "The Information Content of the 1999 Announcement of Funds from Operations (FFO) Changes for Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(3), pages 241-256.
- Ping Cheng & Stephen E. Roulac, 2007. "REIT Characteristics and Predictability," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 10(2), pages 23-41.
- repec:ecu:wpaper:2009-04 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chris Brooks & Sotiris Tsolacos, 2001. "International Evidence of the Predictability of Prices of Securititised Real Estate Assets: Econometric Models versus Neural Networks," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2001-08, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Natalya Delcoure & Ross Dickens, 2004. "REIT and REOC Systematic Risk Sensitivity," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 26(3), pages 237-254.
- Don Bredin & Gerard O’Reilly & Simon Stevenson, 2007. "Monetary Shocks and REIT Returns," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 315-331, October.
- Tsai, Ming-Shann & Chiang, Shu-Ling, 2013. "The asymmetric price adjustment between REIT and stock markets in Asia-Pacific markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 91-99.
- Robert Edelstein & Branko Urošević & Nicholas Wonder, 2005. "Ownership Dynamics of REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 447-466, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.