Single-Family Housing Transactions: Seller Motivations, Price, and Marketing Time
AbstractFactors such as relocation and financial distress motivate the seller of a single-family home to facilitate sale by posting a lower list price, communicating the motivations to the marketplace, or offering sales incentives to agents. Impacts of seller motivations on selling prices and marketing times are estimated using data for single-family homes sold in Arlington, Texas, from 1991 to 1993. Results show selling price discounts for houses with sellers who are either eager, motivated, or anxious, houses with sellers who have relocated, foreclosures, and vacant houses. Only foreclosure houses show the reduced marketing time expected for properties with motivated sellers. The results further suggest that the list price is the seller's primary mechanism for selling the property. Reducing the list price fosters faster sales at the sacrifice of the selling price. Copyright 1996 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anglin, Paul M., 2006. "Value and liquidity under changing market conditions," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 293-304, December.
- François Ortalo-Magné & Antonio Merlo, 2002.
"Bargaining over Residential Real Estate: Evidence from England,"
Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers
02-02, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Merlo, Antonio & Ortalo-Magne, Francois, 2004. "Bargaining over residential real estate: evidence from England," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 192-216, September.
- Antonio M. Merlo & François Ortalo-Magné, 2002. "Bargaining over Residential Real Estate: Evidence from England," CESifo Working Paper Series 778, CESifo Group Munich.
- Herrin, William E. & Knight, John R. & Sirmans, C.F., 2004. "Price cutting behavior in residential markets," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 195-207, September.
- Elliot Anenberg & Edward Kung, 2012. "Estimates of the size and source of price declines due to nearby foreclosures: evidence from San Francisco," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-84, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rutherford, R.C. & Springer, T.M. & Yavas, A., 2005. "Conflicts between principals and agents: evidence from residential brokerage," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 627-665, June.
- Carrillo, Paul E. & Pope, Jaren C., 2012. "Are homes hot or cold potatoes? The distribution of marketing time in the housing market," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 189-197.
- Terrence Clauretie & Nasser Daneshvary, 2011. "The Optimal Choice for Lenders Facing Defaults: Short Sale, Foreclose, or REO," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 504-521, May.
- Jerry T. Haag & Ronald C. Rutherford & Thomas A. Thomson, 2000. "Real Estate Agent Remarks: Help or Hype?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 20(1), pages 205-215.
- Geoffrey Turnbull & Velma Zahirovic-Herbert, 2012. "The Transitory and Legacy Effects of the Rental Externality on House Price and Liquidity," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 275-297, April.
- Sean P. Salter & Ernest W. King, 2009. "Price Adjustment and Liquidity in a Residential Real Estate Market with an Accelerated Information Cascade," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 31(4), pages 421-454.
- John Y. Campbell & Stefano Giglio & Parag Pathak, 2009.
"Forced Sales and House Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
14866, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stanley McGreal & Alastair Adair & Louise Brown & James R. Webb, 2009. "Pricing and Time on the Market for Residential Properties in a Major U.K. City," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 31(2), pages 209-234.
- Justin Benefield & Christopher Cain & Ken Johnson, 2011. "On the Relationship Between Property Price, Time-on-Market, and Photo Depictions in a Multiple Listing Service," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 401-422, October.
- Hort, Katinka, 2000. "Prices and turnover in the market for owner-occupied homes," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 99-119, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.