Efficiency in Islamic and conventional banking: an international comparison
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Productivity Analysis.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100296
Islamic banking; International efficiency comparison; Output distance function; G21; D24; L1;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen, Linda & Rai, Anoop, 1996. "Operational efficiency in banking: An international comparison," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 655-672, May.
- Cavallo, Laura & Rossi, Stefania P. S., 2001. "Scale and scope economies in the European banking systems," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4-5), pages 515-531, December.
- Fries, Steven & Taci, Anita, 2005. "Cost efficiency of banks in transition: Evidence from 289 banks in 15 post-communist countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 55-81, January.
- Trevor Fitzpatrick & Kieran McQuinn, 2007.
"Measuring bank profit efficiency,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 1-8.
- S. Carbo & E. P. M. Gardener & J. Williams, 2003. "A note on technical change in banking: the case of European savings banks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(6), pages 705-719.
- Altunbas, Y. & Gardener, E. P. M. & Molyneux, P. & Moore, B., 2001. "Efficiency in European banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1931-1955, December.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Pastor, Jose M. & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 2002.
"Cost and profit efficiency in European banks,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 33-58, February.
- Mariani Abdul-Majid & David Saal & Giuliana Battisti, 2011. "The impact of Islamic banking on the cost efficiency and productivity change of Malaysian commercial banks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(16), pages 2033-2054.
- Claudia Girardone & Philip Molyneux & Edward Gardener, 2004. "Analysing the determinants of bank efficiency: the case of Italian banks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 215-227.
- W. Frame & Tim Coelli, 2001. "U.S. Financial Services Consolidation: The Case of Corporate Credit Unions," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 229-241, March.
- Mohamed Chaffai & Michel Dietsch & Ana Lozano-Vivas, 2001. "Technological and Environmental Differences in the European Banking Industries," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 147-162, April.
- Carvallo, Oscar & Kasman, Adnan, 2005. "Cost efficiency in the Latin American and Caribbean banking systems," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 55-72, January.
- Williams, Jonathan & Nguyen, Nghia, 2005. "Financial liberalisation, crisis, and restructuring: A comparative study of bank performance and bank governance in South East Asia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2119-2154, August.
- Shrimal Perera & Michael Skully & J. Wickramanayake, 2007. "Cost Efficiency in South Asian Banking: The Impact of Bank Size, State Ownership and Stock Exchange Listings-super-," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 7(1-2), pages 35-60.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Islamic Financial Institutions and Products in the Global Financial System," IMF Working Papers 02/192, International Monetary Fund.
- Adnan Kasman & Canan Yildirim, 2006. "Cost and profit efficiencies in transition banking: the case of new EU members," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1079-1090.
- Baele, L. & Farooq, M. & Ongena, S., 2010. "Of Religion and Redemption: Evidence from Default on Islamic Loans (Replaced by CentER DP 2012-014)," Discussion Paper 2010-136, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2010.
"Islamic vs. conventional banking : business model, efficiency and stability,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5446, The World Bank.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2013. "Islamic vs. conventional banking: Business model, efficiency and stability," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 433-447.
- Laurent Weill, 2012. "How Quality of Institutions Shape the Expansion of Islamic Finance," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2012-08, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France).
- Pejman Abedifar & Philip Molyneux & Amine Tarazi, 2013.
"Risk in Islamic Banking,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 17(6), pages 2035-2096.
- Weill, Laurent & Godlewski, Christophe, 2012.
"Why do large firms go for Islamic loans?,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Wassim RAJHI & Slim A. HASSAIRI, 2013. "Islamic Banks And Financial Stability: A Comparative Empirical Analysis Between Mena And Southeast Asian Countries," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 37, pages 149-177.
- Baele, Lieven & Farooq, Moazzam & Ongena, Steven, 2011. "Of Religion and Redemption: Evidence from Default on Islamic Loans," CEPR Discussion Papers 8504, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ouidad Yousfi, 2013. "Does PLS financing solve asymmetric information problems?," Post-Print hal-00785325, HAL.
- Akther, Syed & Fukuyama, Hirofumi & Weber, William L., 2013. "Estimating two-stage network Slacks-based inefficiency: An application to Bangladesh banking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 88-96.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.