Efficiency in Islamic and conventional banking: an international comparison
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Productivity Analysis.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100296
Islamic banking; International efficiency comparison; Output distance function; G21; D24; L1;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fitzpatrick, Trevor & McQuinn, Kieran, 2005.
"Measuring Bank Profit Efficiency,"
Research Technical Papers
3/RT/05, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Fries, Steven & Taci, Anita, 2005. "Cost efficiency of banks in transition: Evidence from 289 banks in 15 post-communist countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 55-81, January.
- S. Carbo & E. P. M. Gardener & J. Williams, 2003. "A note on technical change in banking: the case of European savings banks," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(6), pages 705-719.
- Altunbas, Y. & Gardener, E. P. M. & Molyneux, P. & Moore, B., 2001. "Efficiency in European banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1931-1955, December.
- Adnan Kasman & Canan Yildirim, 2006. "Cost and profit efficiencies in transition banking: the case of new EU members," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1079-1090.
- Carvallo, Oscar & Kasman, Adnan, 2005. "Cost efficiency in the Latin American and Caribbean banking systems," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 55-72, January.
- Allen, Linda & Rai, Anoop, 1996. "Operational efficiency in banking: An international comparison," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 655-672, May.
- Cavallo, Laura & Rossi, Stefania P. S., 2001. "Scale and scope economies in the European banking systems," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4-5), pages 515-531, December.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Pastor, Jose M. & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 2002.
"Cost and profit efficiency in European banks,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 33-58, February.
- Claudia Girardone & Philip Molyneux & Edward Gardener, 2004. "Analysing the determinants of bank efficiency: the case of Italian banks," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 215-227.
- Mariani Abdul-Majid & David Saal & Giuliana Battisti, 2011. "The impact of Islamic banking on the cost efficiency and productivity change of Malaysian commercial banks," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 43(16), pages 2033-2054.
- Mohamed Chaffai & Michel Dietsch & Ana Lozano-Vivas, 2001. "Technological and Environmental Differences in the European Banking Industries," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 147-162, April.
- Williams, Jonathan & Nguyen, Nghia, 2005. "Financial liberalisation, crisis, and restructuring: A comparative study of bank performance and bank governance in South East Asia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2119-2154, August.
- W. Frame & Tim Coelli, 2001. "U.S. Financial Services Consolidation: The Case of Corporate Credit Unions," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 229-241, March.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Islamic Financial Institutions and Products in the Global Financial System: Key Issues in Risk Management and Challenges Ahead," IMF Working Papers 02/192, International Monetary Fund.
- Baele, L. & Farooq, M. & Ongena, S., 2010. "Of Religion and Redemption: Evidence from Default on Islamic Loans (Replaced by CentER DP 2012-014)," Discussion Paper 2010-136, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ouidad Yousfi, 2013. "Does PLS financing solve asymmetric information problems?," Post-Print hal-00785325, HAL.
- Weill, Laurent & Godlewski, Christophe, 2012.
"Why do large firms go for Islamic loans?,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Akther, Syed & Fukuyama, Hirofumi & Weber, William L., 2013. "Estimating two-stage network Slacks-based inefficiency: An application to Bangladesh banking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 88-96.
- Baele, Lieven & Farooq, Moazzam & Ongena, Steven, 2011. "Of Religion and Redemption: Evidence from Default on Islamic Loans," CEPR Discussion Papers 8504, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Laurent Weill, 2012. "How Quality of Institutions Shape the Expansion of Islamic Finance," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2012-08, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France).
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2013.
"Islamic vs. conventional banking: Business model, efficiency and stability,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 433-447.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2010. "Islamic vs. conventional banking : business model, efficiency and stability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5446, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.