Research Investment and the Economic Returns To Chinese Agricultural Research
AbstractThis article measureseconomic returns to research investment in Chinese agricultureusing the production function approach. A stock-of-knowledgevariable constructed from the past research investment is directlyincluded in the production function as an explanatory variablein the production function. Improved rural infrastructure, irrigation,and education are also included as explanatory variables to avoidthe upward bias in the estimates of returns to agricultural research.A two-way variable coefficients technique is used in the estimationto reduce estimation biases due to the remaining measurementand omitted variables problems. Sensitivity analyses are conductedto test the effects of various lag structures on the return estimates.The results show that rates of return to research investmentin Chinese agriculture are high, ranging from 36% to 90% in1997, and the rates are increasing over time. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Productivity Analysis.
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100296
Agricultural research; Rates of returns; Chinese agriculture; Production function;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hu, Ruifa & Cai, Yaqing & Chen, Kevin Z. & Cui, Yongwei & Huang, Jikun, 2010.
"Effects of inclusive public agricultural extension service: Results from a policy reform experiment in Western China,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1037, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hu, Ruifa & Cai, Yaqing & Chen, Kevin Z. & Huang, Jikun, 2012. "Effects of inclusive public agricultural extension service: Results from a policy reform experiment in western China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 962-974.
- Fan, Shenggen & Fang, Cheng & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2001.
"How agricultural research affects urban poverty in developing countries: the case of China,"
EPTD discussion papers
83, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Fan, Shenggen & Fang, Cheng & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2001. "How Agricultural Research Affects Urban Poverty In Developing Countries? The Case Of China," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20636, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Nasir nadeem, Dr. & khalid Mushtaq, Dr., 2010. "Role of Agricultural Research and Extension in Enhancing Agricultural Productivity in Punjab, Pakistan," MPRA Paper 27769, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- World Bank, 2008. "Nigeria - Agriculture Public Expenditure Review," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7923, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.