Sequential capacity and price choices in a duopoly model with demand uncertainty
AbstractThis paper analyzes the effect of demand uncertainty in a two-stage duopoly model where firms first choose capacity then price, and shows that the equilibrium is sensitive to the decision structure of the model. If both the capacity choice and the price choice are made simultaneously, no pure strategy equilibrium exists. If prices are chosen sequentially, the pricing stage has two pure strategy equilibria, but only for one of these does a pure strategy equilibrium of the full game exist. Finally, if both capacities and prices are chosen sequentially, a pure strategy equilibrium with strong first mover advantages exists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Economics Zeitschrift für Nationalökonomie.
Volume (Year): 51 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=108909
Other versions of this item:
- Morten Hviid, 1989. "Sequential Capacity and Price Choices in a Duopoly Model with Demand Uncertainty," Discussion Papers 89-09, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raymond Deneckere & Dan Kovenock, 1988.
773, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Maskin, Eric, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, I: Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Novshek, William, 1980. "Equilibrium in simple spatial (or differentiated product) models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 313-326, April.
- Osborne, Martin J. & Pitchik, Carolyn, 1983.
"Price Competition in a Capacity-Constrained Duopoly,"
83-08, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Osborne, Martin J. & Pitchik, Carolyn, 1986. "Price competition in a capacity-constrained duopoly," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 238-260, April.
- Dixon, Huw, 1984. "The existence of mixed-strategy equilibria in a price-setting oligopoly with convex costs," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 205-212.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz & G. Frank Mathewson (ed.), 1986. "New Developments in the Analysis of Market Structure," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262690934, January.
- G.C. Archibald & B.C. Eaton & Richard Lipsey, 1982. "Address Models of Value Theory," Working Papers 495, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Gal-Or, Esther, 1985. "First Mover and Second Mover Advantages," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 649-53, October.
- Morten Hviid, 1989. "A Two Stage Duopoly Model with Demand Uncertainty," Discussion Papers 89-08, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Wegberg, M.J.A.M. & Witteloostuijn, A. van, 1992. "Credible entry threats into contestable markets: a multimarket model of contestability," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5373412, Tilburg University.
- Bergman, Mats A., 1998. "Endogenous Timing of Investments Yields Modified Stackelberg Outcomes," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 272, Stockholm School of Economics.
- de Frutos, Maria-Angeles & Fabra, Natalia & Von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik M, 2008. "Investment Incentives and Auction Design in Electricity Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 6626, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de Frutos, María-Ángeles & Fabra, Natalia, 2011.
"Endogenous capacities and price competition: The role of demand uncertainty,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 399-411, July.
- de Frutos, Maria-Angeles & Fabra, Natalia, 2007. "Endogenous Capacities and Price Competition: The Role of Demand Uncertainty," CEPR Discussion Papers 6096, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kalyan Talluri & Víctor Martínez de Albéniz, 2010. "Dynamic Price Competition with Fixed Capacities," Working Papers 425, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Farm, Ante, 2009. "Market Sharing and Price Leadership," Working Paper Series 3/2009, Swedish Institute for Social Research.
- Kalyan Talluri & Víctor Martínez de Albéniz, 2010. "Dynamic price competition with fixed capacities," Economics Working Papers 1205, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.