The impact of the Droit de Suite in the UK: an empirical analysis
AbstractThe Droit de Suite, known in the UK as Artistsâ Resale Rights, provides an artist with the inalienable right to receive a royalty based on the resale price of an original work of art. This paper provides an empirical analysis of actual changes in the UK auction market for art that is subject to the Droit de Suite (DDS), relative to changes for art not subject to the DDS, and also relative to changes in the auction markets for art in countries where there has been no change in law. We do a difference-in-difference analysis, differencing price growth and sales growth across market segments and across countries over the period 1996 to 2007. Our results suggest that the introduction of the DDS has not had a negative impact on the UK art auction market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Cultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100284
Droit de suite; Art; Art auctions; Price; Tax;
Other versions of this item:
- Banternghansa, Chanont & Graddy, Kathryn, 2009. "The Impact of the Droit de Suite in the UK: An Empirical Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 7136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- Z11 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economics of the Arts and Literature
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karp, Larry S. & Perloff, Jeffery M., 1993.
"Legal requirements that artists receive resale royalties,"
International Review of Law and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 163-177, June.
- Karp, Larry & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1992. "Legal Requirements that Artists Receive Resale Royalties," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt33f9k5bw, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Olivier Chanel & Louis-André Gérard-Varlet & Victor Ginsburgh, 1996.
"The relevance of hedonic price indices: the case of paintings,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/1715, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chanel, O. & Gerard, L.A. & Ginsburgh, V., 1992. "The Relevence of Hedonic Price Indices the Case of Paintings," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 92a19, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Alan Beggs & Kathryn Graddy, 2009. "Anchoring Effects: Evidence from Art Auctions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(3), pages 1027-39, June.
- Jianping Mei & Michael Moses, 2005. "Vested Interest and Biased Price Estimates: Evidence from an Auction Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2409-2435, October.
- John Solow, 1998. "An Economic Analysis of the Droit de Suite," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 209-226, December.
- Kräussl, Roman & Elsland, Niels van, 2008. "Constructing the true art market index: A novel 2-step hedonic approach and its application to the German art market," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/11, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Beggs, Alan & Graddy, Kathryn, 2006.
"Failure to Meet the Reserve Price: The Impact on Returns to Art,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5811, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alan Beggs & Kathryn Graddy, 2008. "Failure to meet the reserve price: the impact on returns to art," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 301-320, December.
- Alan Beggs & Kathryn Graddy, 2006. "Failure to Meet the Reserve Price: The Impact on Returns to Art," Economics Series Working Papers 272, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Goetzmann, William N, 1993. "Accounting for Taste: Art and the Financial Markets over Three Centuries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1370-76, December.
- Victor Ginsburgh, 2003. "Art markets," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1865, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ginsburgh, Victor, 2005.
"The Economic Consequences of Droit De Suite in the European Union,"
Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP),
Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 35(1-2), pages 61-71, March/Sep.
- Victor Ginsburgh, 2007. "The economic consequences of droit de suite in the European Union," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13404, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Victor Ginsburgh, . "The economic consequences of droit de suite in the European Union," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/5271, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1987.
"Prices of Single Family Homes Since 1970: New Indexes for Four Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
2393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1987. "Prices of single-family homes since 1970: new indexes for four cities," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 45-56.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1987. "Prices of Single Family Homes Since 1970: New Indexes for Four Cities," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 851, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kathryn Graddy & Orley Ashenfelter, 2002.
"Auctions and the Price of Art,"
Economics Series Working Papers
131, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Pesando, James E, 1993. "Art as an Investment: The Market for Modern Prints," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1075-89, December.
- Jianping Mei & Michael Moses, 2002. "Art as an Investment and the Underperformance of Masterpieces," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1656-1668, December.
- Elisabetta Lazzaro & Nathalie Moureau, 2013. "Auctioneers vs. commissaires-priseurs: The carnival mirror of profession regulation in the international art market," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 10(2), pages 159-176, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.