Are Popular and Classical Music Listeners the Same People?
AbstractIn this paper we propose a method for analysing the differences between theconsumption of popular and classical music, that we apply to Spain. Using theinformation contained in the Survey of Structure, Conscience and Biography ofClass, we estimate a bivariate probit model to characterise the audience foreach kind of music, we quantify the influence exerted by various socioeconomicfeatures on the demand for these goods and we describe the average profile ofconsumers. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Cultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100284
classical and popular music; audiences; consumer preferences; bivariate probit models;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John W. O'Hagan, 1996.
"Access to and Participation in the Arts: The Case of Those with Low Income/Educational Attainment,"
Economics Policy Papers
961, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- John O’Hagan, 1996. "Access to and participation in the arts: The case of those with low incomes/educational attainment," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 269-282, December.
- Louis Lévy-Garboua & Claude Montmarquette, 1996. "A microeconometric study of theatre demand," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 25-50, March.
- Jaap Boter & Jan Rouwendal & Michel Wedel, 2005. "Employing Travel Time to Compare the Value of Competing Cultural Organizations," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 19-33, February.
- Devesa Fernández, María & Herrero Prieto, Luis César & Sanz Lara, José Ángel, 2009. "Análisis económico de la demanda de un festival cultural/," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 139-160, Abril.
- Bonet, Lluís & Villarroya, Anna, 2009. "La estructura de mercado del sector de las artes escénicas en España/," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 199-224, Abril.
- Villarroya, Anna & Escardíbul, Josep-Oriol, 2010. "La demanda de libros y publicaciones periódicas en España/The Demand for Books and Periodicals in Spain," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 28, pages 195 (22 pÃ¡, Abril.
- Nela Filimon & Jordi López-Sintas & Carlos Padrós-Reig, 2011. "A test of Rosen’s and Adler’s theories of superstars," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 137-161, May.
- Masaki Katsuura, 2012. "Lead–lag relationship between household cultural expenditures and business cycles," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 49-65, February.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Marilena Vecco & Victor Blanco, 2008. "Addiction At the Biennale of Venice," Working Papers 2008/14, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Boter, Jaap & Rouwendal, Jan & Wedel, Michel, 2004. "Employing Travel Costs to Compare the Use Value of Competing Cultural Organizations," Serie Research Memoranda 0011, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Juan Montoro-Pons & Manuel Cuadrado-García, 2011. "Live and prerecorded popular music consumption," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 19-48, February.
- Donata Favaro & Carlofilippo Frateschi, 2007. "A discrete choice model of consumption of cultural goods: the case of music," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 205-234, September.
- Avtonomov, Yu., 2012. "Elasticity of Demand for Performing Art at Price and Income: Basic Results of Empiric Research," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, vol. 14(2), pages 135-138.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 2006.
"The Making of Cultural Policy: A European Perspective,"
Handbook of the Economics of Art and Culture,
- Frederick Van der Ploeg, 2005. "The Making of Cultural Policy: A European Perspective," CESifo Working Paper Series 1524, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.