If we label it, will they care? The effect of GM-ingredient labelling on consumer responses
AbstractMore than 60% of foods in North American supermarkets contain GM ingredients. While North American consumers seem less concerned about GM foods than Europeans and Japanese, many consumer activists argue that consumers have a “right to know” if what they eat has GM ingredients. Will informative labelling of GM foods lead to major shifts in buying patterns? An experimental study found minimal effects of GM labelling overall but significant differential reactions to GM-labelled products across consumers with differing levels of consumer activism, perceived benefits of genetic engineering, and interest in novel foods with consumer benefits. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Consumer Policy.
Volume (Year): 29 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100283
Genetically modified foods; Labelling; Consumer choice; Biotechnology acceptance;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Noussair, C.N. & Robin, S. & Ruffieux, B., 2002.
"Do consumers not care about biotech foods or do they just not read the labels?,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-378702, Tilburg University.
- Noussair, Charles & Robin, Stephane & Ruffieux, Bernard, 2002. "Do consumers not care about biotech foods or do they just not read the labels?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 47-53, March.
- Noussair, C. & Robin, S. & Ruffieux, B., 2001. "Do Consumers Not Care about Biotech Foods or Do They Just Not Read the Labels?," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1142, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Golan, Elise H. & Kuchler, Fred & Mitchell, Lorraine, 2000. "Economics Of Food Labeling," Agricultural Economics Reports 34069, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Russo, J Edward, et al, 1986. " Nutrition Information in the Supermarket," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(1), pages 48-70, June.
- Bremmers, Harry J., 2012. "An Integrated Analysis of Food Information to Consumers:," 2012 International European Forum, February 13-17, 2012, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 144985, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.