SMEs and CSR: An Approach to CSR in their Own Words
AbstractThe academic literature reveals the need to undertake more in-depth field studies in order to discover the organisational culture, the difficulties and the perceptions surrounding CSR in SMEs. This study presents the results of analysis of four case studies on Catalan companies that stand out for their social and environmental practices. The conclusions of this paper are the result of dialogue with the main actors â€“ four medium-sized companies â€“ focusing on their actions, understandings and resistance with regard to CSR. The methodological perspective used was Grounded Theory, with the aim of the study being to contribute towards formalising CSR in SMEs, in their daily practices, by analysing some primary data. The results obtained show how difficult it is for SMEs to understand CSR, beyond the explanation of the specific practices carried out by the companies. They highlight the role played by the values of the founding director in the implementation of CSR programmes; they reveal that SMEs still have a long way to go towards learning how to inform both internal and external stakeholders of their best practices, and; finally, they show the interesting links that SMEs establish between responsible practices, improved competitiveness and economic results. Finally, the text points out the implications that the results of this analysis may have on creating ways of promoting CSR in SMEs. We believe that, in light of the opinions expressed by the companies, public organisations should try to concentrate on creating a favourable framework for responsible competitiveness, as a way to deal with CSR when addressing SMEs. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Business Ethics.
Volume (Year): 67 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100281
business case study; CSR motivations; CSR perception; public policy; qualitative research; SMEs; responsible competitiveness;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fara Azmat & Ramanie Samaratunge, 2009. "Responsible Entrepreneurship in Developing Countries: Understanding the Realities and Complexities," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(3), pages 437-452, December.
- Sandrine Berger-Douce & Bérangère Deschamps, 2010. "La reprise d'entreprise, une opportunité pour la mise en œuvre de la RSE en PME ?," Post-Print halshs-00534800, HAL.
- Thomas Laudal, 2011. "Drivers and barriers of CSR and the size and internationalization of firms," Social Responsibility Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(2), pages 234-256, July.
- Tate, Graham, 2012. "Farming, the Environment and Entrepreneurship in the Shropshire Hills 1997-2009," 2012 Eighth AFMA Congress, November 25-29, 2012, Nairobi, Kenya 159399, African Farm Management Association (AFMA).
- Johan Graafland & Corrie Mazereeuw-Van der Duijn Schouten, 2012. "Motives for Corporate Social Responsibility," De Economist, Springer, vol. 160(4), pages 377-396, December.
- Véronique Bon & Alain Lacroux & Pierre Teller & Corinne Van Der Yeught, 2012. "Les pratiques de développement durable et de RSE en région PACA : la spécificité des petites entreprises en question," Post-Print hal-00689826, HAL.
- Cabrera-Suárez, M. Katiuska & de la Cruz Déniz-Déniz, Mª & Martín-Santana, Josefa D., 2011. "Familiness and market orientation: A stakeholder approach," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 34-42, March.
- Rachel Bocquet & Caroline Mothe, 2011. "Exploring the relationship between CSR and innovation: A comparison between small and largesized French companies," Post-Print hal-00919326, HAL.
- Pepe, Cosetta & Musso, Fabio & Risso, Mario, 2009. "Retailers and SME suppliers social responsibility in international supply chains," MPRA Paper 31112, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maria Jesus Munoz-Torres & Maria Angeles Fernandez-Izquierdo & Luisa Nieto-Soria & Juana Maria Rivera-Lirio & Elena Escrig-Olmedo & Raul Leon-Soriano, 2009. "SMEs and corporate social responsibility. The perspective from Spanish companies," International Journal of Sustainable Economy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 270-288.
- Philippe Gugler & Jacylyn Shi, 2009. "Corporate Social Responsibility for Developing Country Multinational Corporations: Lost War in Pertaining Global Competitiveness?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 87(1), pages 3-24, April.
- Geoff Moore & Richard Slack & Jane Gibbon, 2009. "Criteria for Responsible Business Practice in SMEs: An Exploratory Case of U.K. Fair Trade Organisations," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 89(2), pages 173-188, October.
- Lutz Preuss & Jack Perschke, 2010. "Slipstreaming the Larger Boats: Social Responsibility in Medium-Sized Businesses," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 92(4), pages 531-551, April.
- Heidi Weltzien Hoivik & Domènec Melé, 2009. "Can an SME Become a Global Corporate Citizen? Evidence from a Case Study," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 88(3), pages 551-563, September.
- Tang, Zhi & Tang, Jintong, 2012. "Stakeholder–firm power difference, stakeholders' CSR orientation, and SMEs' environmental performance in China," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 436-455.
- Rachel Bocquet & Christian Le Bas & Caroline Mothe & Nicolas Poussing, 2013.
"Are firms with different CSR profiles equally innovative? Empirical analysis with survey data,"
- Rachel Bocquet & Christian Le Bas & Caroline Mothe & Nicolas Poussing, 2012. "Are firms with different CSR profiles equally innovative? Empirical analysis with survey data," Post-Print halshs-00737698, HAL.
- Angeloantonio Russo & Francesco Perrini, 2010. "Investigating Stakeholder Theory and Social Capital: CSR in Large Firms and SMEs," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 91(2), pages 207-221, January.
- Sophie Giordano-Spring & Fabienne Villesèque-Dubus & Jean-Marie Courrent, 2012. "Les déterminants du reporting sociétal interne et externe en PME : une étude empirique quantitative," Post-Print hal-00690971, HAL.
- Rosario Vázquez-Carrasco & M. López-Pérez, 2013. "Small & medium-sized enterprises and Corporate Social Responsibility: a systematic review of the literature," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(6), pages 3205-3218, October.
- Ulrike Gelbmann, 2010. "Establishing strategic CSR in SMEs: an Austrian CSR quality seal to substantiate the strategic CSR performance," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 90-98.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.