Strategic Environmental Policy and International Trade in Asymmetric Oligopoly Markets
AbstractThis paper examines optimal cooperative and non-cooperative environmental taxes for the case in which a polluting input is used to produce an internationally-traded finished product. The model allows for terms-of-trade effects under oligopoly and employs a general specification of the environmental damage function that encompasses special cases of local, global, and transboundary externalities. The model has several implications for public finance. For example, inefficiently high environmental taxes may be optimal for a net exporting country in non-cooperative circumstances, as the motive to shift rent by selecting an inefficiently low tax rate is countervailed by the incentive to shift the burden of the tax to foreign consumers. The findings identify the important role of asymmetric trade flows (denominated in both goods and pollution exchange) in determining optimal cooperative and non-cooperative tax policy under oligopoly. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2002
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Tax and Public Finance.
Volume (Year): 9 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102915
international trade; oligopoly; transboundary externality;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barnett, A H, 1980. "The Pigouvian Tax Rule under Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 1037-41, December.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1985. "Tax policy in open economies," Handbook of Public Economics, in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 313-374 Elsevier.
- Chander, Parkash & Tulkens, Henry, 1994.
"A Core-Theoretic Solution for the Design of Cooperative Agreements on Transfrontier Pollution,"
897, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Parkash Chander & Henry Tulkens, 1995. "A core-theoretic solution for the design of cooperative agreements on transfrontier pollution," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 279-293, August.
- Chander, P. & Tulkens, H., . "A core-theoretic solution for the design of cooperative agreements on transfrontier pollution," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1158, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CHANDER, Parkash & TULKENS, Henry, 1994. "A Core-Theoretic Solution for the Design of Cooperative Agreements on Transfrontier Pollution," CORE Discussion Papers 1994048, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michael Rauscher, 1995. "Environmental regulation and the location of polluting industries," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 229-244, August.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F, 1981. "Duopoly Models with Consistent Conjectures," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 934-45, December.
- James A. Brander & Barbara J. Spencer, 1984.
"Export Subsidies and International Market Share Rivalry,"
NBER Working Papers
1464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1985. "Export subsidies and international market share rivalry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 83-100, February.
- David F. Burgess, 1988. "On the Relevance of Export Demand Conditions for Capital Income Taxation in Open Economies," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(2), pages 285-311, May.
- Kennedy Peter W., 1994. "Equilibrium Pollution Taxes in Open Economies with Imperfect Competition," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 49-63, July.
- Hoel, Michael, 1991. "Global environmental problems: The effects of unilateral actions taken by one country," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 55-70, January.
- Rauscher, Michael, 1994. "Environmental Regulation and the Location of Polluting Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1032, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Morgenstern, Richard, 1995. "Environmental Taxes: Dead or Alive?," Discussion Papers dp-96-03, Resources For the Future.
- Conrad Klaus, 1993. "Taxes and Subsidies for Pollution-Intensive Industries as Trade Policy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 121-135, September.
- Markusen, James R, 1975. "Cooperative Control of International Pollution and Common Property Resources," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 89(4), pages 618-32, November.
- Ulph, Alistair, 1998. "Political institutions and the design of environmental policy in a federal system with asymmetric information," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 583-592, May.
- Lai, Yu-Bong & Hu, Chia-Hsien, 2008. "Trade agreements, domestic environmental regulation, and transboundary pollution," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 209-228, May.
- Odd Rune Straume, 2006. "Product Market Integration and Environmental Policy Coordination in An International Duopoly," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 34(4), pages 535-563, August.
- Hamilton, Stephen F. & Requate, Till, 2004.
"Vertical structure and strategic environmental trade policy,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 260-269, March.
- Stephan F. Hamilton & Till Requate, 2001. "Vertical Structure and Strategic Environmental Trade Policy," CESifo Working Paper Series 594, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yann Duval, 2002. "Domestic Input Policies in Free Trade Areas with National Asymmetries," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 28(2), pages 241-253, Spring.
- Rabindra N. Bhattacharya & Rupayan Pal, .
"Environmental standards as strategic outcomes: A Simple model,"
Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers
2008-028, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Bhattacharya, Rabindra N. & Pal, Rupayan, 2010. "Environmental standards as strategic outcomes: A simple model," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 408-420, August.
- Rabindra N. Bhattacharya & Rupayan Pal, 2008. "Environmental Standards as Strategic Outcomes : A Simple Model," Development Economics Working Papers 22151, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Higashida, Keisaku & Jinji, Naoto, 2006.
"Strategic use of recycled content standards under international duopoly,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 242-257, March.
- Higashida, Keisaku & Jinji, Naoto, 2005. "Strategic Use of Recycled Content Standards under International Duopoly," Discussion Papers 2004-12, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Bárcena Ruiz, Juan Carlos & Campo Corredera, María Luz, 2011.
"Partial cross-ownership and strategic environmental policy,"
2011-47, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Bárcena-Ruiz, Juan Carlos & Campo, María Luz, 2012. "Partial cross-ownership and strategic environmental policy," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 198-210.
- Joan Canton, 2007. "Environmental Taxation and International Eco-Industries," Working Papers 2007.26, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Calmette, Marie-Françoise, 2005. "Environmental Policies and Trade Liberalization: a Time Consistency Issue," IDEI Working Papers 238, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Cavagnac, Michel & Cheikbossian, Guillaume, 2012.
"Coalition Formation and Environmental Policies in International Oligopoly Markets,"
TSE Working Papers
12-364, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Cavagnac, Michel & Cheikbossian, Guillaume, 2012. "Coalition Formation and Environmental Policies in International Oligopoly Markets," LERNA Working Papers 12.29.386, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Bárcena-Ruiz, Juan Carlos, 2012. "Privatization when the public firm is as efficient as private firms," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1019-1023.
- Requate, Till, 2005. "Environmental Policy under Imperfect Competition : A Survey," Economics Working Papers 2005,12, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.