Disability Risk, Disability Benefits, and Equilibrium Unemployment
AbstractThis paper analyses the labour market and efficiency effects of various kinds of disability policies. It therefore extends Pissarides (1990) model of equilibrium unemployment with disability risk and disability benefits and allows for the improper use of disability schemes by the unemployed. The paper finds that recognition of this improper use can reverse the ranking of policies. In addition, it concludes that disability policies that reduce the participation in disability schemes tend to increase the rate of official unemployment. Only policies that lower the rate of disability shocks succeed to reduce both the participation in disability and unemployment schemes. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2001
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Tax and Public Finance.
Volume (Year): 8 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102915
disability risk; disability benefits; equilibrium search model; equilibrium unemployment; hidden unemployment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 1992.
"Search Unemployment with on-the-job Search,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0074, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1980. "The Decline in Male Labor Force Participation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 117-34, February.
- Haveman, Robert H. & Wolfe, Barbara L., 1984. "Disability transfers and early retirement: a casual relationship?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 47-66, June.
- Haveman, Robert & Wolfe, Barbara & Warlick, Jennifer, 1988. "Labor market behavior of older men : Estimates from a Trichotomous choice model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 153-175, July.
- Doherty, N A, 1979. "National Insurance and Absence from Work," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(353), pages 50-65, March.
- van Ours, J., 1991. "The Efficiency of the Dutch Labour Market in Matching Unemployment and Vacancies," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-142205, Tilburg University.
- Oliver Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1989. "The Beveridge Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 1-76.
- Moffitt, Robert, 1983. "An Economic Model of Welfare Stigma," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1023-35, December.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1982. "The Male Labour Force Participation Decision: Health, Reported Health, and Economic Incentives," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 49(193), pages 81-91, February.
- Hassink, R. & Ours, J.C. van & Ridder, G., 1997. "Dismissal through disability," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-86871, Tilburg University.
- Paul Frijters & Michael A. Shields, 2001.
"Welfare and Output Enhancing Moral Hazard: Disability Benefits and Endogenous Occupational Choice,"
Discussion Papers Series
445, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Paul Frijters & Michael A. Shields, 2001. "Welfare And Output Enhancing Moral Hazard:Disability Benefits And Endogenous Occupational Choice," Paul Frijters Discussion Papers 2001-1, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- van Sonsbeek, J.M. & Gradus, R.H.J.M., 2006.
"A microsimulation analysis of the 2006 regime change in the Dutch disability scheme,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 427-456, May.
- Sonsbeek, J.M. van & Gradus, R.H.J.M., 2005. "A microsimulation analysis of the 2006 regime change in the Dutch disability scheme," Serie Research Memoranda 0012, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Gijs Roelofs & Daniel van Vuuren, 2011. "The decentralization of Social Assistance and the rise of Disability Insurance enrolment," CPB Discussion Paper 185, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.