Innovations in Health Care Financing: New Evidence on the Prospect of Community Health Insurance Schemes in the Rural Areas of Ethiopia
AbstractIt has become clear that due to market failure, state failure, and other reasons, the conventional sources of finance alone could not solve the health problem of the rural population, particularly that of the socially excluded and disadvantaged groups. Community Based Health Insurance Schemes (CBHIS) are one of the most recently mentioned options to narrow the existing inequalities in access to basic health services. This study assesses the prospect of CBHIS in the rural areas of Ethiopia using a double bounded dichotomous contingent valuation method. The results show that even in one of the poorest countries of the world, there is a promising prospect to introduce CBHIS. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics.
Volume (Year): 5 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=106603
contingent valuation; double bounded dichotomous choice format; community health insurance schemes; health care financing; willingness to pay; rural Ethiopia;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johannesson, Magnus & Johansson, Per-Olov & Kristrom, Bengt & Gerdtham, Ulf-G., 1993. "Willingness to pay for antihypertensive therapy -- further results," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 95-108, April.
- Kloos, Helmut & Etea, Alemayehu & Degefa, Assefa & Aga, Hundessa & Solomon, Berhanu & Abera, Kabede & Abegaz, Abebe & Belemo, Geto, 1987. "Illness and health behaviour in Addis Ababa and rural central Ethiopia," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1003-1019, January.
- Smith, V. Kerry, 1985. "Some Issues In Discrete Response Contingent Valuation Studies," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 14(1), April.
- Mark Yuying An & Roberto Ayala, 1996.
"A Mixture Model of Willingness to Pay Distributions,"
- An, Mark Y. & Roberto Ayala, 1995. "A Mixture Model of Willingness to Pay Distributions," Working Papers 95-21, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Whittington, Dale & Hua Wang, 2000. "Willingness to pay for air quality improvements in Sofia, Bulgaria," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2280, The World Bank.
- Klose, Thomas, 1999. "The contingent valuation method in health care," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 97-123, May.
- Ludwig, Jens & Cook, Philip J, 2001.
" The Benefits of Reducing Gun Violence: Evidence from Contingent-Valuation Survey Data,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 207-26, May.
- Jens Ludwig & Philip J. Cook, 1999. "The Benefits of Reducing Gun Violence: Evidence from Contingent-Valuation Survey Data," NBER Working Papers 7166, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cameron, Trudy Ann & Quiggin, John, 1998. "Estimation Using Contingent Valuation Data from a "Dichotomous Choice with Follow-Up" Questionnaire: Reply," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 195-199, March.
- Nyquist, Hans, 1992. "Optimal Designs of Discrete Response Experiments in Contingent Valuation Studies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 559-63, August.
- Marwa Farag & A. NandaKumar & Stanley Wallack & Dominic Hodgkin & Gary Gaumer & Can Erbil, 2012. "The income elasticity of health care spending in developing and developed countries," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 145-162, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.