The international transferability of human capital in nursing
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=106603
Foreign-educated nurses; Human capital; Transferability; F22; I21; J31;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adamache, Killard W. & Sloan, Frank A., 1982. "Unions and hospitals : Some unresolved issues," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 81-108, May.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1978.
"Unionism and the Dispersion of Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
0248, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shapiro, Carl, 1986. "Investment, Moral Hazard, and Occupational Licensing," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 843-62, October.
- Neeraj Kaushal, 2011. "Earning Trajectories of Highly Educated Immigrants: Does Place of Education Matter?," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 64(2), pages 323-340, January.
- Bernt Bratsberg & James F. Ragan Jr., 2002. "The Impact of Host-Country Schooling on Earnings: A Study of Male Immigrants in the United States," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 37(1), pages 63-105.
- Douglas Staiger & Joanne Spetz & Ciaran Phibbs, 2008.
"Is There Monopsony In The Labor Market? Evidence From A Natural Experiment,"
1115, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Douglas O. Staiger & Joanne Spetz & Ciaran S. Phibbs, 2010. "Is There Monopsony in the Labor Market? Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(2), pages 211-236, 04.
- Douglas Staiger & Joanne Spetz & Ciaran Phibbs, 1999. "Is There Monopsony in the Labor Market? Evidence from a Natural Experiment," NBER Working Papers 7258, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lemieux, Thomas, 1998. "Estimating the Effects of Unions on Wage Inequality in a Panel Data Model with Comparative Advantage and Nonrandom Selection," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(2), pages 261-91, April.
- Sullivan, Daniel, 1989.
"Monopsony Power in the Market for Nurses,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(2), pages S135-78, October.
- Hirsch, Barry & Schumacher, Edward J., 2004. "Classic Monopsony or New Monopsony? Searching for Evidence in Nursing Labor Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 1154, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barry T. Hirsch, 1982. "The interindustry structure of unionism, earnings, and earnings dispersion," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 36(1), pages 22-39, October.
- Duleep, Harriet & Regets, Mark, 2002.
"The Elusive Concept of Immigrant Quality: Evidence from 1970-1990,"
IZA Discussion Papers
631, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Harriet Orcutt Duleep & Mark C. Regets, 2013. "The Elusive Concept of Immigrant Quality: Evidence from 1970-1990," Working Papers 138, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Mark C. Regets & Harriet Orcutt Duleep, 1999. "Immigrants and Human-Capital Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 186-191, May.
- Rachel M. Friedberg, 1996.
"You Can't Take It With You? Immigrant Assimilation and the Portability of Human Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
5837, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Friedberg, Rachel M, 2000. "You Can't Take It with You? Immigrant Assimilation and the Portability of Human Capital," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 221-51, April.
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
- Paul W. Miller & Barry R. Chiswick, 2006.
"Why is the Payoff to Schooling Smaller for Immigrants?,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
06-03, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2008. "Why is the payoff to schooling smaller for immigrants?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1317-1340, December.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2005. "Why Is the Payoff to Schooling Smaller for Immigrants?," IZA Discussion Papers 1731, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Belman, Dale & Heywood, John S, 1990. "Union Membership, Union Organization and the Dispersion of Wages," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(1), pages 148-53, February.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1979. "Quacks, Lemons, and Licensing: A Theory of Minimum Quality Standards," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1328-46, December.
- Robert F. Schoeni, 1997. "New Evidence on the Economic Progress of Foreign-Born Men in the 1970s and 1980s," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(4), pages 683-740.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.