The impact of the Austrian hospital financing reform on hospital productivity: empirical evidence on efficiency and technology changes using a non-parametric input-based Malmquist approach
AbstractThe 1997 hospital financing reform has been supposed to reduce considerable inefficiencies in the provision of hospital care in Austria. This paper focuses on the changes in hospital productivity between 1994 and 1998, thus including three years before the reform and two years after the reform. Using Data Envelopment Analysis we calculated the input-based Malmquist index, which is then decomposed into indices of pure technical efficiency change, scale efficiency change and technology change. The results illustrated a considerably positive shift in technology between 1996 and 1998, whereas the intended enhancement in technical efficiency has not yet taken place. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Health Care Management Science.
Volume (Year): 3 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=101767
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- António Afonso & Sónia Fernandes, 2008. "Assessing Hospital Efficiency: Non-parametric Evidence for Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/07, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- O'Neill, Liam & Rauner, Marion & Heidenberger, Kurt & Kraus, Markus, 2008. "A cross-national comparison and taxonomy of DEA-based hospital efficiency studies," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 158-189, September.
- Helmut Herwartz & Christoph Strumann, 2014. "Hospital efficiency under prospective reimbursement schemes: an empirical assessment for the case of Germany," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 175-186, March.
- Ng, Ying Chu, 2011. "The productive efficiency of Chinese hospitals," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 428-439, September.
- Biorn, Erik & Hagen, Terje P. & Iversen, Tor & Magnussen, Jon, 2002.
"The Effect of Activity-Based Financing on Hospital Efficiency: A Panel Data Analysis of DEA Efficiency Scores 1992-2000,"
8099, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Biørn, Erik & Hagen, Terje P. & Iversen, Tor & Magnussen, Jon, 2009. "The effect of activity-based financing on hospital efficiency: A panel data analysis of DEA efficiency scores 1992-2000," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2002:8, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Antonio José Orozco Gallo, 2014. "Una aproximación regional a la eficiencia y productividad de los hospitales públicos colombianos," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 011548, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Blank, Jos L. T. & Vogelaar, Iris, 2004. "Specifying technical change: a research on the nature of technical change in Dutch hospital industry," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 448-463, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.