Gains, Losses, and the US-EPA Economic Analyses Guidelines: A Hazardous Product?
AbstractWhile offering many useful suggestions to improve economic analyses, the Guidelines take no account of widely reported behavioural economics research findings. Foregoing the opportunities to improve valuations and other analyses offered by this evidence is likely to lead to inappropriate assessments and consequent distortions of damage estimates, policy and regulatory design. Copyright Springer 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
endowment effect; WTA-WTP disparity; environmental valuations;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arrow, Kenneth J. & Cropper, Maureen L. & Eads, George C. & Hahn, Robert W. & Lave, Lester B. & Noll, Roger G. & Portney, Paul R. & Russell, Milson & Schmalensee, Richard & Smith, V. Kerry & Stavins, , 1997.
"Is there a role for benefit-cost analysis in environmental, health, and safety regulation?,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(02), pages 195-221, May.
- Arrow, Kenneth J. & Cropper, Maureen L. & Eads, George C. & Hahn, Robert W. & Lave, Lester B. & Noll, Roger G. & Portney, Paul R. & Russell, Milton & Schmalensee, Richard L. & Smith, V. Kerry & Stavin, 1996. "Is There a Role for Benefit-Cost Analysis in Environmental, Health, and Safety Regulation?," Working paper 98, Regulation2point0.
- Bush, Glenn & Hanley, Nicholas & Moro, Mirko & Rondeau, Daniel, 2012. "Measuring the Local Opportunity Costs of Conservation: A Provision Point Mechanism for Willingness-to-Accept," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2012-14, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Jun, Eunju & Kim, Wonjoon & Jeong, Yong Hoon & Chang, Soon-Heung, 2009.
"Measuring the social value of nuclear energy using contingent valuation methodology,"
49668, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jun, Eunju & Joon Kim, Won & Hoon Jeong, Yong & Heung Chang, Soon, 2010. "Measuring the social value of nuclear energy using contingent valuation methodology," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 1470-1476, March.
- Clive L Spash, 2009. "Social Ecological Economics," Socio-Economics and the Environment in Discussion (SEED) Working Paper Series 2009-08, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems.
- Gowdy, John M., 2007. "Toward an experimental foundation for benefit-cost analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 649-655, September.
- Robert Sugden, 2005. "Coping with Preference Anomalies in Cost–Benefit Analysis: A Market-Simulation Approach," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 32(1), pages 129-160, 09.
- Spash, Clive L., 2007. "Deliberative monetary valuation (DMV): Issues in combining economic and political processes to value environmental change," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 690-699, September.
- Spash, Clive L. & Vatn, Arild, 2006. "Transferring environmental value estimates: Issues and alternatives," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 379-388, December.
- John M. Gowdy, . "Valuing Nature For Climate Change Policy: From Discounting The Future To Truly Social Deliberation," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 1201, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- John Gowdy & Aneel Salman, 2007. "Climate Change and Economic Development: A Pragmatic Approach (Invited Lecture)," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 46(4), pages 337-350.
- Venkatachalam, L., 2008. "Behavioral economics for environmental policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 640-645, November.
- Anthony Ryan & Clive L Spash, 2008. "Measuring “Awareness of Environmental Consequences”: Two Scales and Two Interpretations," Socio-Economics and the Environment in Discussion (SEED) Working Paper Series 2008-10, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.