The Role of Water in Manufacturing
AbstractWater's role in manufacturing technologies has received limited attention. A KLEM model of the sector's technology is extended to include two facets of water use: intake and recirculation. Three annual cross-sectional surveys on plant-level water use are pooled and combined with census data to estimate this extended model for the Canadian manufacturing sector over the period 1981–1991. While Canada's water allocation regulations influence private water withdrawals, statistical tests support representing water intake as a variable input. Water intake is found to be a substitute for water recirculation, energy, labour and capital. The relationship between water intake and recirculation is stronger when water intake is process-related rather than related to cooling and steam production. Technological change has been biased in the direction of increased water intake and decreased water recirculation. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2001
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
cost function; demand; manufacturing; recirculation; water;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Renzetti, 1999. "Municipal Water Supply and Sewage Treatment: Costs, Prices and Distortions," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 688-704, May.
- Gaudet, G O & May, J D & McFetridge, D G, 1976. "Optimal Capital Accumulation: The Neoclassical Framework in a Canadian Context," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(3), pages 269-73, August.
- Dinar, A. & Subramanian, A., 1997. "Water Pricing Experiences," Papers 386, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Renzetti, S. & Dupont, D., 1996.
"Water Use in the Canadian Food and Beverage Industry,"
1996-03, York (Canada) - Department of Economics.
- Renzetti, S. & Dupont, D., 1996. "Water Use in the Canadian Food and Beverage Industry," Working Papers 1996-03, Brock University, Department of Economics.
- Glenn D. Schaible, 1997. "Water Conservation Policy Analysis: An Interregional, Multi-Output, Primal-Dual Optimization Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 163-177.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Smith, Tim R, 1984. "On Measuring Natural Resource Scarcity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(5), pages 954-64, October.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Smith, Tim R, 1986. "Substitution Possibilities for Unpriced Natural Resources: Restricted Cost Functions for the Canadian Metal Mining Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 398-405, August.
- Robidoux, B. & Lester, J., 1988. "Econometric Estimates Of Scale Economies In Canadian Manufacturing," Working Papers-Department of Finance Canada 1988-4, Department of Finance Canada.
- Michael R. Moore & Ariel Dinar, 1995. "Water and Land as Quantity-Rationed Inputs in California Agriculture: Empirical Tests and Water Policy Implications," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 71(4), pages 445-461.
- Steven Renzetti, 1992. "Estimating the Structure of Industrial Water Demands: The Case of Canadian Manufacturing," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(4), pages 396-404.
- Christoph Jessberger & Maximilian Sindram & Markus Zimmer, 2011.
"Global Warming Induced Water-Cycle Changes and Industrial Production – A Scenario Analysis for the Upper Danube River Basin,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 231(3), pages 415-439, June.
- Christoph Jeßberger & Maximilian Sindram & Markus Zimmer, 2010. "Global Warming Induced Water-Cycle Changes and Industrial Production – A Scenario Analysis for the Upper Danube River Basin," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper Nr. 94, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Steven Renzetti & Joel Brueau & Michel Villeneuve, 2009. "Self-selection bias and manufacturing firms' demand for water recirculation," Working Papers 0902, Brock University, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2009.
- Kumar, Surender, 2004.
"Analysing industrial water demand in India: An input distance function approach,"
04/12, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Surender Kumar, 2009. "Analyzing Industrial Water Demand in India: An Input Distance Function Approach," Working Papers id:2178, eSocialSciences.
- José Féres & Arnaud Reynaud & Alban Thomas, 2007.
"Water Reuse in Brazilian Manufacturing Firms,"
1257, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- José Gustavo Féres & Alban Thomas & Arnaud Reynaud, 2006. "Water Reuse In Brazilian Manufacturing Firms," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 181, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Dachraoui, Kais & Harchaoui, Tarek, 2004. "Utilisation de l'eau, prix fictifs et productivite du secteur canadien des entreprises," Serie de documents de recherche sur l'analyse economique (AE) 2004026f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
- José Féres & Arnaud Reynaud, 2005.
"Assessing the Impact of Environmental Regulation on Industrial Water Use: Evidence From Brazil,"
1079, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- José Féres & Arnaud Reynaud, 2005. "Assessing the Impact of Environmental Regulation on Industrial Water Use: Evidence from Brazil," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 81(3).
- Linz, Teresa & Tsegai, Daniel W., 2009. "Industrial Water Demand analysis in the Middle Olifants sub-basin of South Africa: The case of Mining," Discussion Papers 49927, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Joel Bruneau & Steven Renzetti, 2010. "A Longitudinal Study of Water Recycling in Canadian Manufacturing Plants," Working Papers 1001, Brock University, Department of Economics.
- Strzepek, Kenneth M. & Juana, James S. & Kirsten, Johann F., 2006. "Marginal Productivity Analysis of Global Inter-sectoral Water Demand," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25748, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Nicholas Rivers & Steven Groves, 2013. "The Welfare Impact of Self-supplied Water Pricing in Canada: A Computable General Equilibrium Assessment," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 55(3), pages 419-445, July.
- Dachraoui, Kais & Harchaoui, Tarek, 2004. "Water Use, Shadow Prices and the Canadian Business Sector Productivity Performance," Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series 2004026e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- repec:ind:nipfwp:12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arnaud Reynaud, 2003. "An Econometric Estimation of Industrial Water Demand in France," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(2), pages 213-232, June.
- Steven Renzetti, 2009. "Wave of the Future: The Case for Smarter Water," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 281, February.
- Worthington, Andrew C., 2010. "Commercial and Industrial Water Demand Estimation: Theoretical and Methodological Guidelines for Applied Economics Research/Estimación de la demanda de agua comercial e industrial: pautas teóricas y," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 28, pages 237-258, Agosto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.