International Trade and Environmental Regulation: Time Series Evidence and Cross Section Test
AbstractThis paper examines empiricallywhether more stringent domestic environmental policiesreduce the international competitiveness ofenvironmentally sensitive goods (ESGs). Our timeseries evidence indicates that there are no systematicchanges in trade patterns of ESGs in the last threedecades, despite the introduction of more stringentenvironmental regulations in most of the developedcountries in the 1970s and 1980s. This observedphenomenon is then subjected to a multi-countryeconometric test using an extended gravity-equationframework. The test suggests that, overall, morestringent environmental regulations do not reducetotal exports, exports of ESGs and exports ofnon-resource-based ESGs. Neither was there anyevidence to support the hypothesis that new tradebarriers emerge to offset the effects of morestringent environmental regulations. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
environmental regulation; international competitiveness; trade and the environment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael E. Porter & Claas van der Linde, 1995. "Toward a New Conception of the Environment-Competitiveness Relationship," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 97-118, Fall.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Linnemann, H. & Verbruggen, H., 1988.
"GSTP tariff reduction and its effects on South-South trade in manufactures,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0044, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Linnemann, Hans & Verbruggen, Harmen, 1991. "GSTP tariff reduction and its effects on south-south trade in manufactures," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 539-551, May.
- Markusen, James R., 1997.
"Costly pollution abatement, competitiveness and plant location decisions,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 299-320, November.
- James R. Markusen, 1996. "Costly Pollution Abatement, Competitiveness, and Plant Location Decisions," NBER Working Papers 5490, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1985. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade: Some Microeconomic Foundations and Empirical Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 474-81, August.
- Leidy, M.P. & Hoekman, B.M., 1991.
"'Cleaning up' while Cleaning up: Pollution Abatement, Interest Groups and Contingent Trade Policies,"
283, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Leidy, Michael P & Hoekman, Bernard M, 1994. " 'Cleaning Up' while Cleaning Up? Pollution Abatement, Interest Groups and Contingent Trade Policies," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 78(3-4), pages 241-58, March.
- H. David Robison, 1988. "Industrial Pollution Abatement: The Impact on Balance of Trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(1), pages 187-99, February.
- Rauscher, Michael, 1994. "On Ecological Dumping," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(0), pages 822-40, Supplemen.
- Tobey, James A, 1990. "The Effects of Domestic Environmental Policies on Patterns of World Trade: An Empirical Test," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 191-209.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- Harrigan, James, 1997.
"Technology, Factor Supplies, and International Specialization: Estimating the Neoclassical Model,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 475-94, September.
- James Harrigan, 1996. "Technology, Factor Supplies and International Specialization: Estimating the Neoclassical Model," NBER Working Papers 5722, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Harrigan, 1996. "Technology, factor supplies, and international specialization: estimating the neoclassical model," Staff Reports 15, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Barrett, Scott, 1994. "Strategic environmental policy and intrenational trade," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 325-338, July.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Karen Palmer, 1996.
"Environmental Regulation and Innovation: A Panel Data Study,"
NBER Working Papers
5545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Karen Palmer, 1997. "Environmental Regulation And Innovation: A Panel Data Study," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 610-619, November.
- Copeland, Brian R & Taylor, M Scott, 1994. "North-South Trade and the Environment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(3), pages 755-87, August.
- Trefler, Daniel, 1995. "The Case of the Missing Trade and Other Mysteries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1029-46, December.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, January.
- van Beers, Cees & van den Bergh, Jeroen C J M, 1997. "An Empirical Multi-country Analysis of the Impact of Environmental Regulations on Foreign Trade Flows," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 29-46.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Davis, Donald R., 1995. "Intra-industry trade: A Heckscher-Ohlin-Ricardo approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 201-226, November.
- Harmen Verbruggen & Onno Kuik, 1997. "WTO Ministerial Conference in Singapore: Environmental Diversity Versus Harmonization," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 10(4), pages 405-413, December.
- Karen Palmer & Wallace E. Oates & Paul R. Portney, 1995. "Tightening Environmental Standards: The Benefit-Cost or the No-Cost Paradigm?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 119-132, Fall.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1994. "North-South Trade and the Global Environment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 851-74, September.
- Jean-Louis Combes & Pascale Combes Motel & Somlanare Romuald KINDA, 2014.
"Do Environmental Policies Hurt Trade Performance?,"
- Thomas Roediger-Schluga, 2003.
"Some Micro-Evidence on the "Porter Hypothesis" from Austrian VOC Emission Standards,"
Growth and Change,
Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 34(3), pages 359-379.
- Roediger-Schluga, Thomas, 2002. "Some micro-evidence on the "Porter Hypothesis" from Austrian VOC emission standards," ERSA conference papers ersa02p290, European Regional Science Association.
- Zhu, Xueqin & van Ierland, Ekko, 2006. "The enlargement of the European Union: Effects on trade and emissions of greenhouse gases," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 1-14, April.
- Andres Faiña & Jesus Lopez-Rodríguez, 2003. "Population Potentials and Development Levels: Empirical Findings in the European Union," ERSA conference papers ersa03p30, European Regional Science Association.
- Busse, Matthias, 2004. "Trade, environmental regulations and the World Trade Organization : new empirical evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3361, The World Bank.
- Colyer, Dale, 2003. "Agriculture and Environmental Issues in Free Trade Agreements," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 4(2).
- Douglas A. Carr, 2011. "The Intergovernmental Fiscal Effects of the Clean Air Act," Public Finance Review, , vol. 39(6), pages 810-830, November.
- Guglielmo Caporale & Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2010.
"Environmental Regulation and Competitiveness: Evidence from Romania,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp995, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Arouri, Mohamed El Hedi & Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Rault, Christophe & Sova, Robert & Sova, Anamaria, 2012. "Environmental Regulation and Competitiveness: Evidence from Romania," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(C), pages 130-139.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2012. "Environmental Regulation and Competitiveness: Evidence from Romania," CESifo Working Paper Series 3916, CESifo Group Munich.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Rault, Christophe & Sova, Robert & Sova, Anamaria, 2010. "Environmental Regulation and Competitiveness: Evidence from Romania," IZA Discussion Papers 5029, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Elif Akbostanci & G.Ipek Tunç & Serap Türüt-Asik, 2004. "Pollution Haven Hypothesis and the Role of Dirty Industries in Turkey’s Exports," ERC Working Papers 0403, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Feb 2004.
- Christoph Böhringer & Victoria Alexeeva-Talebi, 2011. "Unilateral climate policy and competitiveness: The implications of differential emission pricing," Working Papers V-338-11, University of Oldenburg, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2011.
- Abay Mulatu & Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Cees A. Withagen, 2004. "Environmental Regulation and International Trade," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-020/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- repec:old:wpaper:338 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.