Valuing Fisheries Depreciation in Natural Resource Accounting: The Pelagic Fisheries in Northeast Peninsular Malaysia
AbstractIn this paper, an approach based onthe net present value method is used to account forthe changes in the value of fisheries resources. Changes in the value of fisheries resources can occurbetween successive years' catch as well as betweencurrent and optimal levels of catch. These changesneed to be accounted for in the national accountingsystem to reflect the `true' net national income thatis sustainable. The approach outlined in this paper isdesirable as it allows the estimation of thedepreciation value of fisheries resource with limitedbiological information. The application of theapproach to the pelagic fisheries in NortheastPeninsular Malaysia (NEPM) showed that the resourcedepreciated in value over most years from 1982 to1993. These depreciations correspond to increasedfishing effort. In addition, pelagic catches in NEPMfrom 1982 to 1993 were lower than the optimal levelsof catch due to overfishing. Thus policies aimed atreducing fishing effort can provide improvement inboth the potentially higher capital values of thefishery resource and the earning potentials of thefishing industry in NEPM. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
depreciation; fisheries resource accounting; optimal catch; pelagic fishery; present value;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clark, Colin W. & Munro, Gordon R., 1975. "The economics of fishing and modern capital theory: A simplified approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 92-106, December.
- Hartwick, John M., 1990.
"Natural resources, national accounting and economic depreciation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 291-304, December.
- John M. Hartwick, 1990. "Natural Resources, National Accounting and Economic Depreciation," Working Papers 771, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Yew, Tai Shzee & Heaps, Terry, 1996. "Effort Dynamics And Alternative Management Policies For The Small Pelagic Fisheries Of Northwest Peninsular Malaysia," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 11(2).
- Landefeld, J Steven & Hines, James R, 1985. "National Accounting for Non-renewable Natural Resources in the Mining Industries," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 31(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Clarke, Raymond P. & Yoshimoto, Stacey S. & Pooley, Samuel G., 1992. "A Bioeconomic Analysis of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Lobster Fishery," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 7(3).
- Hartwick, John M., 1991. "Degradation of environmental capital and national accounting procedures," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(2-3), pages 642-649, April.
- Karl-Göran Mäler, 1991. "National accounts and environmental resources," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Harris, Michael & Fraser, Iain, 2001.
"Natural Resource Accounting in Theory and Practive: A Critical Assessment,"
2002 Conference (46th), February 13-15, 2002, Canberra
125106, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Harris, Michael & Fraser, Iain, 2002. "Natural resource accounting in theory and practice: A critical assessment," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 46(2), June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.