Valuing Mangrove-Fishery Linkages – A Case Study of Campeche, Mexico
AbstractThis paper explores the value of mangrove systems as a breeding and nursery habitat for off-shore fisheries, focusing on mangrove-shrimp production linkages in Campeche State, Mexico. We develop an open access fishery model to account explicitly for the effect of mangrove area on carrying capacity and thus production. From the long-run equilibrium conditions of the model we are able to establish the key parameters determining the comparative static effects of a change in mangrove area on this equilibrium. We then estimate empirically the effects of changes in mangrove area in the Laguna de Terminos on the production and value of shrimp harvests in Campeche over 1980–90. Our findings suggest that mangroves are an important and essential input into the Campeche shrimp fishery, but that the low levels of deforestation between 1980 and 1990 mean that the resulting losses to the shrimp fishery are still comparatively small. Over-exploitation of the fishery due to open access conditions remains the more pervasive threat, and without better management any long-run benefits of protecting mangrove habitat are likely to be dissipated. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1998
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
bioeconomic; Campeche; deforestation; ecological; economic; fishery; habitat; harvest; Laguna de Terminos; mangrove; Mexico; open access; shrimp;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kahn, James R. & Kemp, W. Michael, 1985. "Economic losses associated with the degradation of an ecosystem: The case of submerged aquatic vegetation in Chesapeake Bay," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 246-263, September.
- Swallow, Stephen K., 1994. "Renewable and Nonrenewable Resource Theory Applied to Coastal Agriculture, Forest, Wetland, and Fishery Linkages," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 9(4).
- Leonard Shabman & Michael K. Bertelson, 1979. "The Use of Development Value Estimates for Coastal Wetland Permit Decisions," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 54(2), pages 213-222.
- Bell, Frederick W., 1997. "The economic valuation of saltwater marsh supporting marine recreational fishing in the southeastern United States," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 243-254, June.
- Swallow, Stephen K., 1990. "Depletion of the environmental basis for renewable resources: The economics of interdependent renewable and nonrenewable resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 281-296, November.
- Edward B. Barbier, 1994. "Valuing Environmental Functions: Tropical Wetlands," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 155-173.
- Freeman, A. III, 1991. "Valuing environmental resources under alternative management regimes," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 247-256, September.
- Parks, Peter J. & Bonifaz, Manuel, 1994. "Nonsustainable Use of Renewable Resources: Mangrove Deforestation and Mariculture in Ecuador," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 9(1).
- Batie, Sandra S. & Wilson, James R., 1978. "Economic Values Attributable To Virginia'S Coastal Wetlands As Input In Oyster Production," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 10(01), July.
- Peter Parks & Göran Bostedt & Bengt Kriström, 2002. "An Integrated System for Management and Policy Analysis," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 21(3), pages 203-220, March.
- Knowler, Duncan & Barbier, Edward B. & Strand, Ivar E., Jr., 2001. "An Open-Access Model Of Fisheries And Nutrient Enrichment In The Black Sea," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 16(3).
- Duncan Knowler, 2002. "A Review of Selected Bioeconomic Models with Environmental Influences in Fisheries," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 163-181, May.
- Martin D. Smith & Larry B. Crowder, 2011. "Valuing Ecosystem Services with Fishery Rents: A Lumped-Parameter Approach to Hypoxia in the Neuse River Estuary," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(11), pages 2229-2267, November.
- Islam, Mursaleena & Braden, John B., 2003.
"Bio-Economic Development Of Floodplains: Farming Versus Fishing In Bangladesh,"
2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada
22084, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Islam, Mursaleena & Braden, John B., 2006. "Bio-economic development of floodplains: farming versus fishing in Bangladesh," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 95-126, February.
- Hussain, S. Salman & Winrow-Giffin, Alexandra & Moran, Dominic & Robinson, Leonie A. & Fofana, Abdulai & Paramor, Odette A.L. & Frid, Chris L.J., 2010. "An ex ante ecological economic assessment of the benefits arising from marine protected areas designation in the UK," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 828-838, February.
- Mahadev Bhat & Ramachandra Bhatta, 2004. "Considering Aquacultural Externality in Coastal Land Allocation Decisions in India," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 29(1), pages 1-20, September.
- Miettinen, Antti & Huhtala, Anni, 2005. "Modelling Environmental Effects of Agriculture: The Case of Organic Rye and Grey Partridge," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24462, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- James Sanchirico & Michael Springborn, 2011. "How to Get There From Here: Ecological and Economic Dynamics of Ecosystem Service Provision," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 48(2), pages 243-267, February.
- repec:ags:mareec:133366 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edward Barbier & Ivar Strand & Suthawan Sathirathai, 2002. "Do Open Access Conditions Affect the Valuation of an Externality? Estimating the Welfare Effects of Mangrove-Fishery Linkages in Thailand," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 21(4), pages 343-365, April.
- Mykoniatis, Nikolaos & Ready, Richard, 2013.
"Evaluating habitat-fishery interactions: The case of Submerged Aquatic Vegetation and Blue Crab fishery in the Chesapeake Bay,"
2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C.
150272, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Mykoniatis, Nikolaos & Ready, Richard, 2013. "Evaluating habitat-fishery interactions: The case of Submerged Aquatic Vegetation and Blue Crab fishery in the Chesapeake Bay," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150683, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Bulte, Erwin H., 2003.
"Open access harvesting of wildlife: the poaching pit and conservation of endangered species,"
Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 27-37, January.
- Bulte, E.H., 2003. "Open access harvesting of wildlife: The poaching pit and conservation of endangered species," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-91693, Tilburg University.
- Nunez, Daisy & Nahuelhual, Laura & Oyarzun, Carlos, 2006. "Forests and water: The value of native temperate forests in supplying water for human consumption," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 606-616, June.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 2010. "The Place of Nature in Economic Development," Handbook of Development Economics, Elsevier.
- Smith, Martin D., 2008. "Bioeconometrics: Empirical Modeling of Bioeconomic Systems," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 23(1).
- Janssen, Ron & Gilbert, Alison & Padilla, Joe, 2000. "Use of environmental functions to communicate the values of a mangrove ecosystem under different management regimes. Response to a critique," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 141-143, November.
- Barbier, Edward B., 2000. "Valuing the environment as input: review of applications to mangrove-fishery linkages," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 47-61, October.
- Johannus Janmaat, 2012. "Fishing in a Shallow Lake: Exploring a Classic Fishery Model in a Habitat with Shallow Lake Dynamics," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 51(2), pages 215-239, February.
- McConnell, Kenneth E. & Bockstael, Nancy E., 2006. "Valuing the Environment as a Factor of Production," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 14, pages 621-669 Elsevier.
- Arquitt, Steve & Johnstone, Ron, 2008. "Use of system dynamics modelling in design of an environmental restoration banking institution," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 63-75, March.
- McVittie, Alistair & Moran, Dominic, 2010. "Valuing the non-use benefits of marine conservation zones: An application to the UK Marine Bill," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 413-424, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.