Research Issues in Nonpoint Pollution Control
AbstractResearch on nonpoint pollution control instruments has focused primarily on incentives applied either to production inputs that affect nonpoint pollution, or to ambient pollution concentrations. Both approaches may in theory yield an efficient solution. However, input-based incentives will generally have to be second-best to make implementation practical. Design issues include which inputs to monitor and the rates to apply to them. The limited research indicates that second-best, input-based incentives can be effective in adjusting input use in environmentally desirable ways. Alternatively, ambient-based incentives have theoretical appeal because efficient policy design appears to be less complex than for input-based incentives. These incentives have no track record nor close analogues that demonstrate potential effectiveness, however. Research on how households and firms might react in response to ambient-based incentives is needed before these instruments can be seriously considered. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1998
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
ambient taxes; input taxes; nonpoint pollution; second-best;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph A. Herriges & Ramu Govindasamy & Jason F. Shogren, 1992.
"Budget Balancing Incentive Mechanisms,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
92-wp100, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Segerson, Kathleen, 1988. "Uncertainty and incentives for nonpoint pollution control," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 87-98, March.
- Douglas M. Larson & Gloria E. Helfand & Brett W. House, 1996. "Second-Best Tax Policies to Reduce Nonpoint Source Pollution," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 1108-1117.
- David L. Sunding, 1996. "Measuring the Marginal Cost of Nonuniform Environmental Regulations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 1098-1107.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Lakshminarayan, P. G. & Wu, J. & Zilberman, David, 1997. "Targeting Tools for the Purchase of Environmental Amenities," Staff General Research Papers 5220, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cabe, Richard & Herriges, Joseph A., 1992. "The regulation of non-point-source pollution under imperfect and asymmetric information," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 134-146, March.
- Holtermann, Sally, 1976. "Alternative Tax Systems to Correct for Externalities, and the Efficiency of Paying Compensation," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(169), pages 1-16, February.
- Horan, Richard D. & Shortle, James S. & Abler, David G., 1998. "Ambient Taxes When Polluters Have Multiple Choices," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 186-199, September.
- Xepapadeas, A. P., 1991. "Environmental policy under imperfect information: Incentives and moral hazard," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 113-126, March.
- Xepapadeas, A. P., 1992. "Environmental policy design and dynamic nonpoint-source pollution," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 22-39, July.
- Miceli, Thomas J. & Segerson, Kathleen, 1991. "Joint liability in torts: Marginal and infra-marginal efficiency," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 235-249, December.
- Shumway, C. Richard, 1995. "Recent Duality Contributions In Production Economics," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Horan, Richard D. & Shortle, James S. & Abler, David G. & Ribaudo, Marc, 2001. "The Design And Comparative Economic Performance Of Alternative Second-Best Point/Nonpoint Trading Markets," Staff Papers 11595, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Sjak Smulders & Herman R.J. Vollebergh, 1999.
"Green Taxes and Administrative Costs: The Case of Carbon Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
7298, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sjak Smulders & Herman R. J. Vollebergh, 2001. "Green Taxes and Administrative Costs: The Case of Carbon Taxation," NBER Chapters, in: Behavioral and Distributional Effects of Environmental Policy, pages 91-130 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aftab, Ashar & Hanley, Nick & Baiocchi, Giovanni, 2010.
"Integrated regulation of nonpoint pollution: Combining managerial controls and economic instruments under multiple environmental targets,"
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 24-33, November.
- Ashar Aftab & Giovanni Baiocchi & Nick Hanley, 2009. "Integrated Regulation of Nonpoint Pollution: Combining Managerial Controls and Economic Instruments under Multiple Environmental Targets," Working Papers 2009_03, Durham University Business School.
- Bontems, Philippe & Rotillon, Gilles & Turpin, Nadine, 2005.
"Acceptable Reforms of Agri-Environmental Policies,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19150, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Athanasios Kampas & Ben White, 2004. "Administrative Costs and Instrument Choice for Stochastic Non-point Source Pollutants," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 27(2), pages 109-133, February.
- Cyril Bourgeois & Nosra Ben-Fradj & Mélissa Clodic & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2011. "How cost-effective is a mixed policy targeting the management of three pollutants from N-fertilizers," Working Papers 2011/03, INRA, Economie Publique.
- Roger Claassen & Richard Horan, 2001. "Uniform and Non-Uniform Second-Best Input Taxes," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 19(1), pages 1-22, May.
- Dan Protopopescu, 2009. "Dynamic Stackelberg Game with Risk-Averse Players: Optimal Risk-Sharing under Asymmetric Information," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 797.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- James Shortle & Richard D. Horan, 2013. "Policy Instruments for Water Quality Protection," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 5(1), pages 111-138, June.
- Woodward, Richard T., 2000. "Market-Based Solutions To Environmental Problems: Discussion," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(02), August.
- Ghimire, Narishwar & Woodward, Richard T., 2013. "Under- and over-use of pesticides: An international analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 73-81.
- Kritikos, Alexander S., 2004. "A penalty system to enforce policy measures under incomplete information," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 385-403, September.
- Borisova, Tatiana & Shortle, James S. & Horan, Richard D. & Abler, David G., 2003. "The Value Of Ecological And Economic Information In Water Quality Management," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22180, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Richard Horan, 2001. "Cost-Effective and Stochastic Dominance Approaches to Stochastic Pollution Control," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(4), pages 373-389, April.
- Nasreddine AMMAR & Ahmed ENNASRI & Marc Willinger, 2011. "Performance of the ambient tax: does the nature of the damage matter?," Working Papers 11-25, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Dec 2011.
- Petsakos, Athanasios & Jayet, Pierre-Alain, 2010. "Evaluating the efficiency of a N-input tax under different policy scenarios at different scales," 120th Seminar, September 2-4, 2010, Chania, Crete 109397, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Nguyen, Nga & Shortle, James S., 2006. "Transactions Costs and Point-Nonpoint Source Water Pollution Trading," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21096, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.