Ownership Structure as Corporate Governance Mechanism: Evidence from Chinese Listed Companies
AbstractThis paper examines the cross-sectional relation between ownership structure and corporate performance of a sample of 434 manufacturing firms listed on the Chinese stock exchange. Following the agency theory and taking other influential factors into account, such as firm size, leverage ratio, variance of sales, growth of sale and firm age, the results suggest that there is a strong relation between ownership concentration and corporate performance, measured by Tobin's Q. A further classification of owners reveals that while shares held by state play a negative role in corporate governance, domestic institutional and managerial shareholdings improve the firms' performance. Copyright 2001 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economics of Planning.
Volume (Year): 34 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1-2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=113294
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gutierrez, Luis H. & Pombo, Carlos & Taborda, Rodrigo, 2008.
"Ownership and control in Colombian corporations,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 22-47, February.
- Carlos Pombo & Luis H Gutierrez & Rodrigo Taborda, 2005. "Ownership and Control in Colombian Corporations," BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN 003311, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Luis H. Gutiérrez & Carlos Pombo & Rodrigo Taborda, 2005. "Ownership and Control in Colombian Corporations," Research Department Publications 3220, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Tariq, Yasir Bin & Abbas, Zaheer, 2013. "Compliance and multidimensional firm performance: Evaluating the efficacy of rule-based code of corporate governance," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 565-575.
- Chan, Kam C. & Fung, Hung-Gay & Thapa, Samanta, 2007. "China financial research: A review and synthesis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 416-428.
- Chen-Chien Hsun & Shih Hui-Tzu, 2003.
"Initial Public Offering and Corporate Governance in China's Transitional Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
9574, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chen Chien-Hsun & Shih Hui-Tzu, 2004. "Initial Public Offering and Corporate Governance in China's Transitional Economy," NBER Chapters, in: Governance, Regulation, and Privatization in the Asia-Pacific Region, NBER East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 12, pages 185-210 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chen, Alex A. & Cao, Hong & Zhang, Dayong & Dickinson, David G., 2013. "The impact of shareholding structure on firm investment: Evidence from Chinese listed companies," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 85-100.
- Hovey, Martin & Naughton, Tony, 2007. "A survey of enterprise reforms in China: The way forward," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 138-156, June.
- Langnan Chen & Steven Li & Yijia Chen, 2005. "Corporate Governance and Corporate Performance: Some Evidence from Newly Listed Firms on Chinese Stock Markets," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 204, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Helen Hu & On Tam & Monica Tan, 2010. "Internal governance mechanisms and firm performance in China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 727-749, December.
- Saam, Nicole J., 2007. "Asymmetry in information versus asymmetry in power: Implicit assumptions of agency theory?," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 825-840, December.
- Clarke, Donald C., 2003. "Corporate governance in China: An overview," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 494-507.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.