On the Targeting of the Employment Guarantee Scheme in the Indian State of Maharashtra
AbstractContrary to a widely held view, the targeting of the Employment Guarantee Scheme in the Indian state of Maharashtra was unsatisfactory and worsened over the period 1979-89. Among the participants, from a large group the non-poor became the majority. Some of them were in fact (moderately) affluent. The share of female participants--especially of poor female participants--also diminished. As a result, the overall share of poor in EGS earnings fell sharply. Although a greater targeting accuracy does not necessarily imply a greater poverty impact for a given outlay, some improvements in the design and implementation of this scheme are likely to enhance both. Copyright 2000 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economics of Planning.
Volume (Year): 33 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=113294
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chau, Nancy H. & Kanbur, Ravi & Qin, Yu, 2012. "DO PUBLIC WORK SCHEMES DETER OR ENCOURAGE OUTMIGRATION? Empirical Evidence from China," Working Papers 128799, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Katsushi Imai & Pasquale Scandizzo, 2003.
"Option Values, Switches and Wages - An Analysis of the Employment Guarantee Scheme in India,"
Economics Series Working Papers
164, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Pasquale Scandizzo & Raghav Gaiha & Katsushi Imai, 2009. "Option Values, Switches, and Wages: An Analysis of the Employment Guarantee Scheme in India," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 248-263, 05.
- Katsushi Imai & Pasquale Scandizzo & Raghav Gaiha, 2004. "Option Values, Switches And Wages - An Analysis Of The Employment Guarantee Scheme In India," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 133, Royal Economic Society.
- Imai, Katsushi, 2007.
"Targeting versus universalism: An evaluation of indirect effects of the Employment Guarantee Scheme in India,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 99-113.
- Katsushi Imai, 2004. "Targeting versus Universalism: An Evaluation of Indirect Effects of the Employment Guarantee Scheme in India," Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics 04/07, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Jun 2004.
- Raghbendra Jha, 2002. "Rural Poverty in India: Structure, determinants and suggestions for policy reform," ASARC Working Papers 2002-07, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Dey, S., 2010. "Evaluating India's national rural employment guarantee scheme: the case of Birbhum districts, West Bengal," ISS Working Papers - General Series 490, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Raghav Gaiha, 2004. "Is There a Case for the Employment Guarantee Scheme in India? Some Recent Evidence," ASARC Working Papers 2004-09, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Raghbendra Jha & Sambit Bhattacharyya & Raghav Gaiha & Shylashri Shankar, 2008.
"Capture of Anti-Poverty Programs: An Analysis of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Program in India,"
ASARC Working Papers
2008-07, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Jha, Raghbendra & Bhattacharyya, Sambit & Gaiha, Raghav & Shankar, Shylashri, 2009. ""Capture" of anti-poverty programs: An analysis of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Program in India," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 456-464, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.