Integrating the resource-based view and transaction cost economics in immigrant business performance
AbstractThis paper presents a new integrated framework that integrates the resource-based view and transaction cost economics to explain the phenomenon of immigrant entrepreneurship. We extend the existing literature on immigrant entrepreneurship by identifying different types of ethnic network resources and demonstrating how these resources interact with transaction costs in the context of Chinese immigrants. Thus, our study contributes to the literature by providing a theoretical framework which identifies mechanisms immigrant entrepreneurs use to strategically deploy resources to minimize costs and maximize performance outcomes. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Asia Pacific Journal of Management.
Volume (Year): 29 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 17, 3300 AA Dordrecht, the Netherlands
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=106589
Immigrant entrepreneurs; Resource-based view; Transaction cost economics; Social networks; Guanxi ; Overseas Chinese;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xiaohua Yang & Siri Terjesen, 2007. "In search of confidence: Context, collaboration, and constraints," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 497-507, December.
- Rachelle C. Sampson, 2004. "Organizational choice in R&D alliances: Knowledge-based and transaction cost perspectives," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(6-7), pages 421-436.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1983. "Credible Commitments: Using Hostages to Support Exchange," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 519-40, September.
- Alexander Fliaster & Josef Spiess, 2008. "Knowledge Mobilization through Social tieS: The Cost-Benefit Analysis," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 60(1), pages 99-117, January.
- Nicole E Coviello, 2006. "The network dynamics of international new ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(5), pages 713-731, September.
- Mike Peng & Jessie Zhou, 2005. "How Network Strategies and Institutional Transitions Evolve in Asia," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 321-336, December.
- Dietrich, Michael, 1991. "Firms, Markets and Transaction Cost Economics," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 38(1), pages 41-57, February.
- Bruce Heiman & Jack Nickerson, 2002. "Towards Reconciling Transaction Cost Economics and the Knowledge-based View of the Firm: The Context of Interfirm Collaborations," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 97-116.
- Mats Hammarstedt, 2004. "Self-Employment Among Immigrants in Sweden -- An Analysis of Intragroup Differences," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 115-126, 09.
- Robert C. Fink & Linda F. Edelman & Kenneth J. Hatten & William L. James, 2006. "Transaction cost economics, resource dependence theory, and customer--supplier relationships," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 497-529, June.
- Michailova, Snejina & Worm, Verner, 2003. "Personal Networking in Russia and China:: Blat and Guanxi," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 509-519, August.
- Standifird, Stephen S. & Marshall, R. Scott, 2000. "The transaction cost advantage of guanxi-based business practices," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 21-42, April.
- Jennifer M. Sequeira & Abdul A. Rasheed, 2006. "Start-Up And Growth Of Immigrant Small Businesses: The Impact Of Social And Human Capital," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(04), pages 357-375.
- Michael Carney & Eric Gedajlovic & Xiaohua Yang, 2009. "Varieties of Asian capitalism: Toward an institutional theory of Asian enterprise," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 361-380, September.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Nonna Kushnirovich & Sibylle Heilbrunn, 2008. "Financial Funding Of Immigrant Businesses," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(02), pages 167-184.
- Merrilees, Bill & Miller, Dale, 1999. "Direct Selling in the West and East: The Relative Roles of Product and Relationship (Guanxi) Drivers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 267-273, July.
- Steve Lovett & Lee C Simmons & Raja Kali, 1999. "Guanxi Versus the Market: Ethics and Efficiency," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(2), pages 231-247, June.
- Tony Fang, 2010. "Asian management research needs more self-confidence: Reflection on Hofstede (2007) and beyond," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 155-170, March.
- Lyons, Bruce R & Mehta, Judith, 1997. "Contracts, Opportunism and Trust: Self-Interest and Social Orientation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(2), pages 239-57, March.
- Rabi Bhagat & Annette McDevitt & Ian McDevitt, 2010. "On improving the robustness of Asian management theories: Theoretical anchors in the era of globalization," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 179-192, June.
- Peng, Mike W. & Lee, Seung-Hyun & Hong, Sungjin J., 2014. "Entrepreneurs as intermediaries," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 21-31.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.