The Pricing Formula for Commodity-Linked Bonds with Stochastic Convenience Yields and Default Risk
AbstractAt the maturity, the owner of a commodity-linked bond has the right to receive the face value of the bond and the excess amount of spot market value of the reference commodity bundle over the prespecified exercise price. This payoff structure is an important characteristic of the commodity-linked bonds. In this paper, we derive closed pricing formulae for the commodity-linked bonds. We assume that the reference commodity price and the value of the firm (bonds' issuer) follow geometric Brownian motions and that the net marginal convenience yield and interest rate follow Ornstein–Uhlenbech processes. In the appendix, we derive pricing formulae for bonds which are the same as the above commodity-linked bonds, except that the reference commodity price in the definition of the payoff at the maturity is replaced by the value of a special asset which depends on the convenience yield. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1998
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Asia-Pacific Financial Markets.
Volume (Year): 5 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102851
bond pricing; commodity-linked bond; convenience yield; default probability; PDE;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gibson, Rajna & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1990. " Stochastic Convenience Yield and the Pricing of Oil Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 959-76, July.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- repec:ags:nc2006:133091 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joseph Atta-Mensah, 2004. "Commodity-Linked Bonds: A Potential Means for Less-Developed Countries to Raise Foreign Capital," Working Papers 04-20, Bank of Canada.
- Samuel Malone, 2005. "Managing Default Risk for Commodity Dependent Countries: Price Hedging in an Optimizing Model," Economics Series Working Papers 246, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.