Bayesian Analysis for Penalized Spline Regression Using WinBUGS
AbstractPenalized splines can be viewed as BLUPs in a mixed model framework, which allows the use of mixed model software for smoothing. Thus, software originally developed for Bayesian analysis of mixed models can be used for penalized spline regression. Bayesian inference for nonparametric models enjoys the flexibility of nonparametric models and the exact inference provided by the Bayesian inferential machinery. This paper provides a simple, yet comprehensive, set of programs for the implementation of nonparametric Bayesian analysis in WinBUGS. Good mixing properties of the MCMC chains are obtained by using low-rank thin-plate splines, while simulation times per iteration are reduced employing WinBUGS specific computational tricks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Statistical Software.
Volume (Year): 14 ()
Issue (Month): i14 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.jstatsoft.org/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Gelman, 2004. "Prior distributions for variance parameters in hierarchical models," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2004_06, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Long Ngo & Matthew P. Wand, . "Smoothing with Mixed Model Software," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(i01).
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521780506, April.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521785167, April.
- Andrew Gelman, 2004. "Prior distributions for variance parameters in hierarchical models," Econometrics 0404001, EconWPA.
- Berry S. M. & Carroll R. J & Ruppert D., 2002. "Bayesian Smoothing and Regression Splines for Measurement Error Problems," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 160-169, March.
- Bellio, Ruggero & Grassetti, Luca, 2011. "Semiparametric stochastic frontier models for clustered data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 71-83, January.
- Márcio Poletti Laurini, 2014.
"Dynamic functional data analysis with non-parametric state space models,"
Journal of Applied Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 142-163, January.
- Márcio Laurini, 2012. "Dynamic Functional Data Analysis with Nonparametric State Space Models," IBMEC RJ Economics Discussion Papers 2012-01, Economics Research Group, IBMEC Business School - Rio de Janeiro.
- Gosoniu, L. & Vounatsou, P. & Sogoba, N. & Maire, N. & Smith, T., 2009. "Mapping malaria risk in West Africa using a Bayesian nonparametric non-stationary model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(9), pages 3358-3371, July.
- Botts, Carsten H. & Daniels, Michael J., 2008. "A flexible approach to Bayesian multiple curve fitting," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(12), pages 5100-5120, August.
- Laurini, Fabrizio & Pauli, Francesco, 2009. "Smoothing sample extremes: The mixed model approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(11), pages 3842-3854, September.
- Chiara Bocci & Emilia Rocco, 2014. "Estimates for geographical domains through geoadditive models in presence of incomplete geographical information," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 283-305, June.
- Welham, S.J. & Thompson, R., 2009. "A note on bimodality in the log-likelihood function for penalized spline mixed models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 920-931, February.
- Choudhary, Pankaj K., 2007. "Semiparametric regression for assessing agreement using tolerance bands," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(12), pages 6229-6241, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.