The Ziggurat Method for Generating Random Variables
AbstractWe provide a new version of our ziggurat method for generating a random variable from a given decreasing density. It is faster and simpler than the original, and will produce, for example, normal or exponential variates at the rate of 15 million per second with a C version on a 400MHz PC. It uses two tables, integers k_i, and reals w_i. Some 99% of the time, the required x is produced by: Generate a random 32-bit integer j and let i be the index formed from the rightmost 8 bits of j. If j
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Statistical Software.
Volume (Year): 05 ()
Issue (Month): i08 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.jstatsoft.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Díaz-Emparanza Herrero, Ignacio, 2011.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Seasonal Unit Root Tests,"
2011-09, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Diaz-Emparanza, Ignacio, 2014. "Numerical distribution functions for seasonal unit root tests," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 237-247.
- Nordahl, Helge A., 2008. "Valuation of life insurance surrender and exchange options," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 909-919, June.
- Ahmed Bensaida, 2012. "Improving the Forecasting Power of Volatility Models," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 2(3), pages 51-64, July.
- Philip H. W. Leong & Ganglie Zhang & Dong-U Lee & Wayne Luk & John Villasenor, . "A Comment on the Implementation of the Ziggurat Method," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(i07).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.