A Note on Optimal Portfolio Selection and Diversification Benefits with a Short Sale Restriction on Real Estate Assets
AbstractThis paper develops an optimal portfolio selection technique when short sales on real estate assets are restricted. Using the well-known mean-variance efficient concept, we are able to derive the optimal weights for portfolios consisting of both financial assets and real estate assets. Our paper provides a simple but powerful tool for portfolio managers to correctly construct mean-variance portfolios under short sale constraints.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 7 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Hartzell & John Hekman & Mike Miles, 1986. "Diversification Categories in Investment Real Estate," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(2), pages 230-254.
- David J. Hartzell & David G. Shulma & Vice President, 1987. "Refining the Analysis of Regional Diversification for Income-Producing Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 2(2), pages 85-95.
- Solange Berstein & Rómulo Chumacero, 2005. "Cuantificación de los Costos de los Limites de Inversión para los Fondos de Pensiones Chilenos," Working Papers 3, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Apr 2005.
- Solange M. Berstein & Rómulo A. Chumacero, 2006.
"Quantifying the costs of investment limits for Chilean pension funds,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 27(1), pages 99-123, March.
- Solange M. Berstein & Rómulo A. Chumacero, 2003. "Quantifying the Costs of Investment Limits for Chilean Pension Funds," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 248, Central Bank of Chile.
- Armonat, Stefan & Pfnür, Andreas, 2002. "Basel II and the German credit crunch?," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 35585, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.