Leasing Versus Purchase of Corporate Real Property: Leases with Residual Equity Interests
AbstractThis article reports the informal research findings from personal interviews with more than thirty corporate real estate executives in regard to leasing corporate operating space while retaining an equity interest in the residual value of the leased property. There appears to be general agreement among "excellent" corporate real estate executives that occupancy costs can often be reduced through leases with equity interests below what is generally possible with either (1) a straight lease of space or (2) an outright purchase (i.e., borrow to buy). Four reasons discussed with corporate real estate executives for the increasing use of leases with residual equity interests are reviewed. Finally, theoretical support is suggested for why such leases, rather than being just the outgrowth of the current corporate space glut, may actually reflect a long-term trend in the way large companies "finance" operating space needs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 6 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lewellen, Wilbur G & Long, Michael S & McConnell, John J, 1976. "Asset Leasing in Competitive Capital Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 787-98, June.
- Long, Michael S., 1977. "Leasing and the Cost of Capital," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 579-586, November.
- Johnson, Robert W & Lewellen, Wilbur G, 1972. "Analysis of the Lease-or-Buy Decision," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 27(4), pages 815-23, September.
- Myers, Stewart C & Dill, David A & Bautista, Alberto J, 1976. "Valuation of Financial Lease Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 799-819, June.
- Christopher A. Manning & Stephen E. Roulac, 1996. "Structuring the Corporate Real Property Function for Greater "Bottom Line" Impact," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(3), pages 383-396.
- Dirk Brounen & Piet Eichholtz, 2005. "Corporate Real Estate Ownership Implications: International Performance Evidence," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 429-445, June.
- Linda L. Johnson & Terry Keasler & Stellan Lundstrom, 1993. "An Industry Profile of Corporate Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(4), pages 445-474.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.