Testing for Vertical Inequity in Property Tax Systems
AbstractModels for testing assessor performance have been widely discussed in the literature. Many have been used in practice. The purpose of this study are to evaluate the performance of existing models and to propose two new models. We find that existing models can be used correctly to test for inequity when their functional form is consistent with the pattern of the assessment-sales ratio data. Results from the application of different models show inconsistencies since the appropriate functional form may vary for different data sets. The new models have the ability to emulate the forms of the existing models as well as handle more complex relationships.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 5 (1990)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Suits, Daniel B & Mason, Andrew & Chan, Louis, 1978. "Spline Functions Fitted by Standard Regression Methods," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(1), pages 132-39, February.
- Earl D. Benson & Arthur L. Schwartz, Jr., 2000. "An Examination of Vertical Equity Over Two Reassessment Cycles," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 19(3), pages 255-273.
- Earl D. Benson & Arthur L. Schwartz, Jr., 1997. "Vertical Equity in the Taxation of Single Family Homes," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(3), pages 215-232.
- Brent C. Smith, 2000. "Applying Models for Vertical Inequity in the Property Tax to a Non-Market Value State," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 19(3), pages 321-344.
- Brent C Smith, 2008. "Intrajurisdictional Segmentation of Property Tax Burdens: Neighborhood Inequities Across an Urban Sphere," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 30(2), pages 207-224.
- R. Kelley Pace, 1998. "Appraisal Using Generalized Additive Models," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 15(1), pages 77-100.
- Gary C. Cornia & Barrett A. Slade, 2005. "Property Taxation of Multifamily Housing: An Empirical Analysis of Vertical and Horizontal Equity and Assessment Methods," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 27(1), pages 17-46.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.