The Wealth Effects of Merger Activities: Further Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trusts
AbstractThis paper examines the effect of merger announcements on target firm shareholder wealth. The sample is limited to Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) targets. Previous corporate acquisition studies report strong pre-announcement and announcement day price appreciation for target firms. Significant positive abnormal returns are detected for the REIT targets at announcement but not during the pre-announcement period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 4 (1989)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kummer, Donald R & Hoffmeister, J Ronald, 1978. "Valuation Consequences of Cash Tender Offers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(2), pages 505-16, May.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Howe, John S & Shilling, James D, 1988. " Capital Structure Theory and REIT Security Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 983-93, September.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Michael E. Solt & Norman G. Miller, 1985. "Managerial Incentives: Implications for the Financial Performance of Real Estate Investment Trusts," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 13(4), pages 404-423.
- Masulis, Ronald W, 1980. " Stock Repurchase by Tender Offer: An Analysis of the Causes of Common Stock Price Changes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 305-19, May.
- Dodd, Peter & Ruback, Richard, 1977. "Tender offers and stockholder returns : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 351-373, December.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Ruback, Richard S., 1983. "The market for corporate control : The scientific evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 5-50, April.
- W. B. Brueggeman & A. H. Chen & T. G. Thihodeau, 1984. "Real Estate Investment Funds: Performance and Portfolio Considerations," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 333-354.
- Kenneth Daniels & Richard A. Phillips, 2007. "The Valuation Impact of Financial Advisors: An Empirical Analysis of REIT Mergers and Acquisitions," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 29(1), pages 57-64.
- Edward F. Pierzak, 2001. "Payment Choice in REIT Property Acquisitions," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 21(1/2), pages 105-140.
- Piet Eichholtz & Nils Kok, 2008.
"How Does the Market for Corporate Control Function for Property Companies?,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 141-163, February.
- Eichholtz, Piet M.A. & Kok, Nils, 2008. "How does the market for corporate control function for property companies?," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13964, Maastricht University.
- Roger M. Shelor & Dwight C. Anderson & Mark L. Cross, 1990. "The Impact of the California Earthquake on Real Estate Firms' Stock Value," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(3), pages 335-340.
- Fayez A. Elayan, 1993. "The Announcement Effect of Real Estate Joint Ventures on Returns to Stockholders: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(1), pages 13-26.
- Seow Ong & Joseph Ooi & Yuichiro Kawaguichi, 2011. "Seasoned Equity Issuance by Japan and Singapore REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 205-220, July.
- Linda L. Johnson & Terry Keasler & Stellan Lundstrom, 1993. "An Industry Profile of Corporate Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(4), pages 445-474.
- David Ling & Milena Petrova, 2011. "Why Do REITs Go Private? Differences in Target Characteristics, Acquirer Motivations, and Wealth Effects in Public and Private Acquisitions," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 99-129, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.