An Analysis of the Acquisition and Disposition of Real Estate Assets
AbstractThis research studies the acquisition and disposition of real estate assets by non-real estate firms from 1981 through 1986. Contrary to previous studies of real estate assets, we find no abnormal performance associated with the buyers of real estate assets and only weak evidence of excess returns for sellers. When combining our results with previous work, we conclude that real estate assets themselves offer the market no unique opportunity to earn excess return. However, it appears that selected organizational forms may be preferred for managing some real estate assets. Thus, when the acquisition or disposition of a realty asset has no change in the management structure of the assets, as in this study, no excess return is found. Our study is limited by the relatively small number of sellers available for analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 4 (1989)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen, Paul R. & Sirmans, C. F., 1987. "An analysis of gains to acquiring firm's shareholders : The special case of REITs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 175-184, March.
- K. Chau & S. Wong & C. Yiu & Maurice Tse & Frederik Pretorius, 2010. "Do Unexpected Land Auction Outcomes Bring New Information to the Real Estate Market?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 480-496, May.
- Fayez A. Elayan, 1993. "The Announcement Effect of Real Estate Joint Ventures on Returns to Stockholders: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(1), pages 13-26.
- Pfnür, Andreas & Armonat, Stefan, 2001. "Immobilienkapitalanlage institutioneller Investoren – Risikomanagement und Portfolioplanung," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 35586, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- John B. Corgel, 1997. "Property-by-Property Valuation of Publicly Traded Real Estate Firms," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(1), pages 77-90.
- Chris Manning & Stephen E. Roulac, 2001. "Lessons from the Past and Future Directions for Corporate Real Estate Research," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 22(1/2), pages 7-58.
- Dirk Brounen & Piet Eichholtz, 2005. "Corporate Real Estate Ownership Implications: International Performance Evidence," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 429-445, June.
- Linda L. Johnson & Terry Keasler & Stellan Lundstrom, 1993. "An Industry Profile of Corporate Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(4), pages 445-474.
- Edward F. Pierzak, 2001. "Payment Choice in REIT Property Acquisitions," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 21(1/2), pages 105-140.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.