Refining the Analysis of Regional Diversification for Income-Producing Real Estate
AbstractThe few studies that have looked at regional diversification of real estate portfolios have segmented the United States into four regions without regard to the underlying economic activity in those four regions. In this study, results are presented which analyze the regional diversification issue by segmenting the country into eight regions based on similar underlying economic fundamentals. The results differ from previous studies in showing that eight-region diversification provides benefits that cannot be achieved from four-region diversification, hence indicating that location does play an important role in real estate portfolio management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 2 (1987)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Hartzell & John Hekman & Mike Miles, 1986. "Diversification Categories in Investment Real Estate," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(2), pages 230-254.
- Philip McCann & Stephen Lee, 2005. "The Implications for Regional Investment of Diversification Strategies in Commercial Real Estate Portfolios," ERSA conference papers ersa05p473, European Regional Science Association.
- Stuart Fletcher, 1993. "Portfolio Considerations in Commingled Real Estate Funds," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(2), pages 171-188.
- David J. Hartzell & Robert H. Pittman & David H. Downs, 1994. "An Updated Look at the Size of the U.S. Real Estate Market Portfolio," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(2), pages 197-212.
- Glenn R. Mueller, 1993. "Refining Economic Diversification Strategies for Real Estate Portfolios," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(1), pages 55-68.
- David M. Geltner & Richard A. Graff & Michael S. Young, 1994. "Random Disaggregate Appraisal Error in Commercial Property: Evidence from the Russell-NCREIF Database," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(4), pages 403-420.
- Waldo L. Born & Stephen A. Pyhrr, 1994. "Real Estate Valuation: The Effect of Market and Property Cycles," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(4), pages 455-486.
- Marc A. Louargand, 1992. "A Survey of Pension Fund Real Estate Portfolio Risk Management Practices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(4), pages 361-374.
- Dennis R. Capozza & Sohan Lee, 1995. "Property Type, Size, and REIT Value," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(4), pages 363-380.
- Tom G. Geurts & Austin J. Jaffe, 1996. "Risk and Real Estate Investment: An International Perspective," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 11(2), pages 117-130.
- Tsong-Yue Lai & Ko Wang & Su Han Chan & Daniel C. Lee, 1992. "A Note on Optimal Portfolio Selection and Diversification Benefits with a Short Sale Restriction on Real Estate Assets," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(4), pages 493-501.
- Dirk P.M. De Wit, 1997. "Real Estate Diversification Benefits," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(2), pages 117-136.
- Piet M.A. Eichholtz, 1996. "The Stability of the Covariances of International Property Share Returns," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 11(2), pages 149-158.
- Mark G. Dotzour & Donald R. Levi, 1989. "Reducing the Cost of Corporate Employee Relocation," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(3), pages 157-168.
- Terry V. Grissom & Ko Wang & James R. Webb, 1992. "The Spatial Equilibrium of Intra-Regional Rates of Return and the Implications for Real Estate Portfolio Diversification," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(1), pages 59-72.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.