A Note on Buyer's Agent Commision and Sales Price
AbstractThe article examines whether and to what extent the level of a buyer’s agent commission will affect the sale price of a house. The estimation results suggest that a higher commission rate leads to a higher sale price, although only for lower-priced houses. It is suggested that, at least for this market segment, there may be a principal-agent problem: buyer’s agents do not act in the best interest of their clients because of the institutional structure of sales commissions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 21 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Hall, A.R., 1984.
"The Information Matrix Test for the Linear Model,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
250, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Elder, Harold W & Zumpano, Leonard V & Baryla, Edward A, 1999. "Buyer Search Intensity and the Role of the Residential Real Estate Broker," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 351-68, May.
- G. Donald Jud, 1983. "Real Estate Brokers and the Market for Residential Housing," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 11(1), pages 69-82.
- William G. Hardin III & Ken H. Johnson & Zhonghua Wu, 2009. "Brokerage Intermediation in the Commercial Property Market," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 31(4), pages 397-420.
- Edward Rosenthal, 2011. "A Pricing Model for Residential Homes with Poisson Arrivals and a Sales Deadline," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 143-161, February.
- Joachim Zietz & Bobby Newsome, 2002. "Agency Representation and the Sale Price of Houses," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 24(2), pages 165-192.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.