The Effect of the Tax Reform Act of 1986 and Overbuilt Markets on Commercial Office Property Values
AbstractThis is the first empirical study to test the impact of the Tax Reform Act of 1986 on office property values and the impact of regional economic conditions. The results for the period 1983–1988 indicate that it had a significant negative effect on values in all four regions and the highest loss was in the South. The significantly higher losses in the South and the West are supportive of the argument that the effect of tax or regulatory changes on real estate will vary across regions based on vacancy rates and economic growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 19 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glenn R. Mueller, 1993. "Refining Economic Diversification Strategies for Real Estate Portfolios," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(1), pages 55-68.
- Brent W. Ambrose & Hugh O. Nourse, 1993. "Factors Influencing Capitalization Rates," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(2), pages 221-238.
- S. Michael Giliberto, 1992. "A Note on Commercial Mortgage Flows and Construction," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(4), pages 485-492.
- Jeffrey D. Fisher & George H. Lentz, 1986. "Tax Reform and the Value of Real Estate Income Property," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(2), pages 287-315.
- Yoon Dokko & Robert H. Edelstein & Marshall Pomer & E. Scott Urdang, 1991. "Determinants of the Rate of Return for Nonresidential Real Estate: Inflation Expectations and Market Adjustment Lags," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(1), pages 52-69.
- Fisher, Jeffrey D & Geltner, David M & Webb, R Brian, 1994. "Value Indices of Commercial Real Estate: A Comparison of Index Construction Methods," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 137-64, September.
- William C. Wheaton & Raymond G. Torto, 1988. "Vacancy Rates and the Future of Office Rents," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 430-436.
- Gary C. Sanger & C. F. Sirmans & Geoffrey K. Turnbull, 1990. "The Effects of Tax Reform on Real Estate: Some Empirical Results," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(4), pages 409-424.
- Mike Miles & Rebel Cole & David Guilkey, 1990. "A Different Look at Commercial Real Estate Returns," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 403-430.
- George W. Gau & Ko Wang, 1990. "A Further Examination of Appraisal Data and the Potential Bias in Real Estate Return Indexes," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(1), pages 40-48.
- Sofia Dermisi & John F. McDonald, 2010. "Selling Prices/sq.ft. of Office Buildings in Downtown Chicago – How Much Is It Worth to Be an Old But Class A Building?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 32(1), pages 1-22.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.