Investor Sentiment and Noise Traders: Discount to Net Asset Value in Listed Property Companies in the U.K
AbstractThere are parallels between the operation of closed-end funds and in the United Kingdom property companies. In both types of corporations, the market capitalization is commonly less than the net asset value (NAV) of the assets owned by the firms. This article investigates the relationship between the NAV of U.K. property companies and their market capitalizations. We first examine the hypothesis that discounts are the result of agency costs, contingent capital gains tax liability and a number of other firm specific factors. We then examine the hypothesis that discounts result from the interaction of noise traders and rational investors. The evidence suggests that both hypotheses have utility in explaining property company discounts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 18 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liu, Crocker H & Mei, Jianping, 1992. "The Predictability of Returns on Equity REITs and Their Co-movement with Other Assets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 401-18, December.
- J. Bradford De Long & Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers & Robert J. Waldmann, .
"Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets,"
J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers
_124, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- Charles Lee & Andrei Shleifer & Richard Thaler, 1990.
"Investor Sentiment and the Closed-End Fund Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
3465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph Gyourko & Donald B. Keim, . "What Does the Stock Market Tell Us About Real Estate Returns? (Revision of 18-91) (Reprint 030)," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 11-92, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Richard Barkham, 1997. "The financial structure and ethos of property companies: an empirical analysis," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(5), pages 441-456.
- Kirman, Alan, 1993. "Ants, Rationality, and Recruitment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(1), pages 137-56, February.
- Dennis R. Capozza & Sohan Lee, 1996. "Portfolio Characteristics and Net Asset Values in REITs," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 520-26, April.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Joseph Gyourko & Donald B. Keim, 1992. "What Does the Stock Market Tell Us About Real Estate Returns?," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(3), pages 457-485.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Summers, Lawrence H, 1990. "The Noise Trader Approach to Finance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 19-33, Spring.
- Liow, Kim Hiang, 2003. "Property Company Stock Price and Net Asset Value: A Mean Reversion Perspective," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 235-55, September.
- James Chong & Alexandra Krystalogianni & Simon Stevenson, . "Dynamic Correlations across REIT Sub-Sectors," Real Estate & Planning Working Papers rep-wp2011-07, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- James Chong & Alexandra Krystalogianni & Simon Stevenson, 2012. "Dynamic correlations between REIT sub-sectors and the implications for diversification," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(13), pages 1089-1109, July.
- Kanak Patel & Ricardo Pereira & Kirill Zavodov, 2009. "Mean-Reversion in REITs Discount to NAV & Risk Premium," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 229-247, October.
- Gavin C. Reid & Julia A. Smith, 2005. "Venture Capital Investor Behaviour in the Backing of UK High Technology Firms: Financial Reporting and the Level of Investment," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 0510, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Nina Kutsch & Pat McAllister & Graeme Newell, 2005. "Private Property Vehicles: The Valuation of Interests in Limited Partnerships," Real Estate & Planning Working Papers rep-wp2005-26, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Kevin Chiang & Ming-Long Lee, 2010. "The Role of Correlated Trading in Setting REIT Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 320-338, October.
- Joseph T.L. Ooi & James R. Webb & Dingding Zhou, 2007. "Extrapolation Theory and the Pricing of REIT Stocks," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 29(1), pages 27-56.
- M. Caporin & A. Lanzavecchia & V. Lippoli, 2012. "I Fondi Immobiliari Italiani: Nav Discount E Valutazioni Degli Esperti Indipendenti," Economics Department Working Papers 2012-EF01, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Nai Jia Lee & Tien Foo Sing & Dinh Hoang Tran, 2013. "REIT Share Price and NAV Deviations: Noise or Sentiment?," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 16(1), pages 28-47.
- Pierpaolo Pattitoni & Barbara Petracci & Massimo Spisni, 2011. "Fee Structure, Financing, and Investment Decisions: The Case of REITs," Working Paper Series 30_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Crystal Lin & Hamid Rahman & Kenneth Yung, 2009. "Investor Sentiment and REIT Returns," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 450-471, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.