A note on in-sample and out-of-sample tests for Granger causality
AbstractThis paper studies in-sample and out-of-sample tests for Granger causality using Monte Carlo simulation. The results show that the out-of-sample tests may be more powerful than the in-sample tests when discrete structural breaks appear in time series data. Further, an empirical example investigating Taiwan's investment-saving relationship shows that Taiwan's domestic savings may be helpful in predicting domestic investments. It further illustrates that a possible Granger causal relationship is detected by out-of-sample tests while the in-sample test fails to reject the null of non-causality. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Forecasting.
Volume (Year): 24 (2005)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Schulz, 2007. "Forecasting economic growth for Estonia : application of common factor methodologies," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2007-09, Bank of Estonia, revised 04 Sep 2007.
- Hui Jun ZHANG & Jean-Marie DUFOUR & John W. GALBRAITH, 2013.
"Exchange Rates and Commodity Prices : Measuring Causality at Multiple Horizons,"
Cahiers de recherche
14-2013, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Hui Jun Zhang & Jean-Marie Dufour & John Galbraith, 2013. "Exchange rates and commodity prices: measuring causality at multiple horizons," CIRANO Working Papers 2013s-39, CIRANO.
- Yang, Zihui & Zhao, Yongliang, 2014. "Energy consumption, carbon emissions, and economic growth in India: Evidence from directed acyclic graphs," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 533-540.
- Yan Carrière‐Swallow & Felipe Labbé, 2013.
"Nowcasting with Google Trends in an Emerging Market,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(4), pages 289-298, 07.
- Yan Carrière-Swallow & Felipe Labbé, 2010. "Nowcasting With Google Trends in an Emerging Market," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 588, Central Bank of Chile.
- Bastianin, Andrea & Galeotti, Marzio & Manera, Matteo, 2014. "Causality and predictability in distribution: The ethanol–food price relation revisited," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 152-160.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.