On SETAR non-linearity and forecasting
AbstractWe compare linear autoregressive (AR) models and self-exciting threshold autoregressive (SETAR) models in terms of their point forecast performance, and their ability to characterize the uncertainty surrounding those forecasts, i.e. interval or density forecasts. A two-regime SETAR process is used as the data-generating process in an extensive set of Monte Carlo simulations, and we consider the discriminatory power of recently developed methods of forecast evaluation for different degrees of non-linearity. We find that the interval and density evaluation methods are unlikely to show the linear model to be deficient on samples of the size typical for macroeconomic data. Copyright Â© 2003 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Forecasting.
Volume (Year): 22 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Gooijer, Jan G. & Kumar, Kuldeep, 1992. "Some recent developments in non-linear time series modelling, testing, and forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 135-156, October.
- Gianna Boero & Emanuela Marrocu, 2005.
"Evaluating non-linear models on point and interval forecasts: an application with exchange rates,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 58(232), pages 91-120.
- Gianna Boero & Emanuela Marrocu, 2005. "Evaluating non-linear models on point and interval forecasts: an application with exchange rates," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 58(232), pages 91-120.
- Hui Feng & Jia Liu, 2002.
"A SETAR Model for Canadian GDP: Non-Linearities and Forecast Comparisons,"
Econometrics Working Papers
0206, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Hui Feng & Jia Liu, 2003. "A SETAR model for Canadian GDP: non-linearities and forecast comparisons," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(18), pages 1957-1964.
- Bec, F. & Bouabdallah, O. & Ferrara, L., 2012.
"The European way out of recession,"
360, Banque de France.
- Angelos Kanas, 2003. "Non-linear forecasts of stock returns," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 299-315.
- Mehmet Pinar & Thanasis Stengos & M. Ege Yazgan, 2012.
"Is there an optimal forecast combination? A stochastic dominance approach applied to the forecast combination puzzle,"
1206, University of Guelph, Department of Economics.
- Mehmet Pinar & Thanasis Stengos & M. Ege Yazgan, 2012. "Is there an Optimal Forecast Combination? A Stochastic Dominance Approach to Forecast Combination Puzzle," Working Paper Series 17_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Eleni Constantinou & Robert Georgiades & Avo Kazandjian & George Kouretas, 2005. "Regime Switching and Artificial Neural Network Forecasting," Working Papers 0502, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Duarte, A. & Venetis, I. & Payá, I., 2004. "Curva de rendimientos y crecimiento de la producción real en la UEM: eficiencia y estabilidad predictiva./Yield Curve and Real Output Growth in the EMU: Efficiency and Predictive Stability," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 22, pages 21, Abril.
- Giot, Pierre & Petitjean, Mikael, 2007.
"The information content of the Bond-Equity Yield Ratio: Better than a random walk?,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 289-305.
- GIOT, Pierre & PETITJEAN, Mikael, 2006. "The information content of the Bond-Equity Yield Ratio: better than a random walk?," CORE Discussion Papers 2006089, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Manzan, S. & Zerom, D., 2005. "A Multi-Step Forecast Density," CeNDEF Working Papers 05-05, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Pedro M.D.C.B. Gouveia & Denise R. Osborn & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues, 2008. "Comparing Seasonal Forecasts of Industrial Production," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 102, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Miguel Ángel Bermejo & Daniel Peña & Ismael Sánchez, 2009. "Graphical identification of TAR models," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws097723, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Costas Milas & Phil Rothman, 2005. "Multivariate STAR Unemployment Rate Forecasts," Econometrics 0502010, EconWPA.
- GIOT, Pierre & PETITJEAN, Mikael, 2005. "Dynamic asset allocation between stocks and bonds using the Bond-Equity Yield Ratio," CORE Discussion Papers 2005010, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.