Der Coupon-Handelsansatz als Modell fuer eine subjektbezogene Finanzierung der Kinderbetreuung
AbstractImproving early childhood education and care (ECEC) services is one of the challenging duties of public authorities in Germany.We think that inefficiency with respect to the quantity as well as the quality of ECEC services is caused by the prevalent object-based financing system. In this article, we tackle the issue by providing a positive analysis to the ongoing discussion about the future of publicly financed ECEC services. We present a model of a subject-based financing system for ECEC services with tradable vouchers. On the basis of this model, it is shown that by introducing tradable vouchers a more efficient allocation of resources is possible. Further, the model indicates that tradable vouchers also improve the quality of ECEC services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics in its journal Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 232 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
Early childhood education and care; subject-based financing; vouchers; Coupon Trading Approach;
Other versions of this item:
- Henrik Egbert & Andreas Hildenbrand, 2010. "Der Coupon-Handelsansatz als Modell für eine subjektbezogene Finanzierung der Kinderbetreuung," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201004, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- H42 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Publicly Provided Private Goods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H. Naci Mocan, 1997. "Cost Functions, Efficiency, and Quality in Day Care Centers," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(4), pages 861-891.
- Naci Mocan, 2007. "Can consumers detect lemons? An empirical analysis of information asymmetry in the market for child care," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 743-780, October.
- Laura-Christin Diekmann & Dominik Enste & Nicola Hülskamp, 2008. "Kita-Gutscheine: Für eine verbesserte Betreuung und Bildung," Wirtschaftsdienst, Springer, vol. 88(10), pages 666-671, October.
- Levin, Henry M. & Schwartz, Heather L., 2007. "Educational vouchers for universal pre-schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 3-16, February.
- West, Edwin G, 1997. "Education Vouchers in Principle and Practice: A Survey," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 12(1), pages 83-103, February.
- Michaela Kreyenfeld & Katharina Spieß & Gert G. Wagner, 2000. "Kindertageseinrichtungen in Deutschland: ein neues Steuerungsmodell bei der Bereitstellung sozialer Dienstleistungen," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 67(18), pages 269-275.
- Viitanen, Tarja, 2007. "Public versus Private Provision of Daycare: An Experimental Evaluation," IZA Discussion Papers 3009, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Glennerster, Howard, 1991. "Quasi-markets for Education?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(408), pages 1268-76, September.
- Henrik Egbert & Andreas Hildenbrand, 2012.
"Strukturelle Hemmnisse für den Ausbau der Kindertagesbetreuung in Deutschland,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
201250, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Egbert, Henrik & Andreas, Hildenbrand, 2012.
"Strukturelle Hemmnisse für den Ausbau der Kindertagesbetreuung in Deutschland
[Structural impediments to the enlargement and improvement of early childhood education and care services in Germany]," MPRA Paper 45626, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 28 Mar 2013.
- Egbert, Henrik & Andreas, Hildenbrand, 2012. "Strukturelle Hemmnisse für den Ausbau der Kindertagesbetreuung in Deutschland
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.