Corporate Responsibility in der forschenden Arzneimittelindustrie
AbstractCorporate Responsibility is a crucial concept in the pharmaceutical industry, especially for research-based pharmaceutical companies. Companies are faced with a tension between fulfilling normative expectations of solidarity and making profits under the pressure of competition. We argue that the seemingly plausible strategy to realize corporate responsibility as corporate philanthrophy is systematically misleading and, in the long run, undermining the legitimacy of the core business. Instead, pharmaceutical companies should demonstrate their corporate responsibility by investing in their licence to operate, that is, by preventing possible conflicts between profits and morals. This requires not only investments in governance structures but also the ability to communicate the legitimacy of making profits as well as their corporate integrity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics in its journal Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 227 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5+6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
Business ethics; corporate social responsibility; pharmaceutical industry; philanthropic activities;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A11 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Role of Economics; Role of Economists
- A13 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Social Values
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- M14 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Corporate Culture; Social Responsibility
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mike Adams, 1998. "An Analysis of Corporate Donations: United Kingdom Evidence," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(5), pages 641-654, 09.
- Carroll, Archie B., 1991. "The pyramid of corporate social responsibility: Toward the moral management of organizational stakeholders," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 39-48.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.